Chapter 4- Sources

The bright fluorescent light made the metal object in Rayne's hand sparkle brightly. Using the scalpel, she carefully brushed away a few strands of loose hair that fell in my face. Despite the blizzard like temperature in the operating room, goose bumps still rose on my arms. She chuckled to herself as she turned around to examine her tray of surgical tools like candy in a shop window. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get off of the cold, metallic colored table, but I couldn't move, only my head could. That's when I noticed the used syringe lying on the ground near the wastebasket, and I realized she drugged me. ZZzzng, Zzng! Rayne turned around slowly, almost dramatically, holding an electric, mini chainsaw.

She said to me, "This won't hurt at all Madison, not one bit."

Then, an eerie smile formed on her lips as she brought the roaring chainsaw down to cut through my knee.

I bolted straight up into a sitting position as if I had been struck by two bolts of lightning. Breathing heavily, I swung my head left and right to survey my surroundings. I threw my legs over the side of the operating table, and I began thinking deeply. It must have been one of those images, visions, or whatever they're called, but how come I'm in the exact same place as my image had shown? 

Something wasn't adding up right, but I pushed the thought out of my mind as I remembered what happened earlier. I immediately began feeling on my abdomen, and when I felt no pain emitting from my wounds I looked down to inspect. Lifting my newly borrowed shirt, probably from Sylvie, I noticed there were no scars or traces of what happened yesterday. Or was it yesterday? For all I know it could be a week before!

'Whoa, wait, I'm in the hospital?'

The door suddenly opened on the far side of the operating room, and everyone walked in, all except Rei. My eyes took in all of their solemn faces, and my brain analyzed their behavior, like a hi-tech computer. Something is definitely wrong.

"Madison," Sylvie was the first to speak, "we need your help. Rei-"

"Rei is dying, and it's quite impossible for him to die." The annoyed psychopath, Rayne, interrupted.

"And we've already decided that you're a perfect match for him." Mizuki stated.

I stared into all of their faces once more, and then I began to chuckle, then laugh. Once I realized that I was the only one laughing I abruptly stopped. I wiped away the single tear that lingered on my cheek and composed myself.

"You're joking right? And what do you mean 'It's quite impossible for him to die' he's just a regular guy with supernatural powers!"

By the time I finished my sentence I was nearly shouting at them, angered by the fact that a person's life was in my hands. This is a huge responsibility that I can't handle right now. I barely had time to figure out how I would live my new life.

"I meant what I said Madison. Rei is not a "regular" human like we are, nor is Mizuki," Rayne informed me nonchalantly, "They're exiled demons of the demonic Royal family."

I stared, dumbfounded, but I wasn't staring at anyone in particular. Then, it all merged together. I looked directly into Mizuki's eyes, which were covered by sunglasses, and decided to ask him a question that millions of people question themselves daily.

"Wait, so, all that stuff about demons, angels, and vampires are true?" I questioned eagerly. "Are you a vampire Mizuki?"

"Hell no! I'm better than those bloodsucking, sparkling Vampers!" Mizuki spat as a response.

"Okay, okay. Sheesh, did you have to get all loud?" I questioned. "And what the heck is wrong with Rei?"

"Every racer needs a Personal Energy Source, and Rei's previous one...lets just say Mizuki gotten to her first." Sylvie answered with a grimace, "Rei was doing well without a P.E. Source for about 3 years, but that was until you showed up here."