Chapter 14- Costello the Cat

My body shook from the pain, though, I suddenly realized it was ebbing away. I looked up at Rei, trying to find the words to tell him it was okay, but I couldn’t since I was still traumatized. Instead, I began to feel immensely calm, hoping those waves would reach him. Judging from the way Rei’s shoulders relaxed, I guessed it worked. Sitting down, Rei looked over at me, tears clearly in his eye, with curiosity.

“SHUT UP WITH YOUR DARN CRYING, IDIOTS!!” Mizuki yelled, firing another shot into the ceiling.

Thank goodness no one lives up there. I thought and quickly returned my attention to Mizuki.

Soon, all was quiet, and I was oddly beginning to feel…better.

“I thought I taught you guys about Madison’s specialties. Hmm, I guess you don’t remember,” Mizuki started, “Things like that can cost you or your team’s life in the race.”

“Wait, what ar-.”

Cutting Sang off, Mizuki continued, “If you all remembered, Madison isn’t ALIVE anyway. Bunch of pu-“

“SHE’S ALIVE?” Sang screeched, leaping to his feet to check on me.

Suddenly finding my voice, I asked Mizuki, “Then…why do I feel pain?”

As Sang examined me, he replied, “It’s the only thing linking you to being human.”

Sang went back to sit down, clearly relieved like everyone else was, except Rei. He had his head down, his face covered by his hair.

“Darn. I missed the good parts, huh?” Rayne asked, returning from the deep recesses of the shared mind of Min-Ji.

“So, what is this…interesting story you’re keeping from us, hmm?” Mizuki asked, as he sat back into his chair like none of the blood on his papers and floor disturbed him.

Feeling absolutely dirty and sticky from the dried blood, I tried not to puke from the metallic, raunchy smell. I started to unlock the absolute worse of my past, and I went back to the mid-beginning.

“It was after Madame Laflamme murdered at least 4 of the girls that she decided to send me away, permanently. The next night when I was sleeping, some men came into my and injected a paralyzing drug in my veins. They kidnapped me, and when I awoke, I was being stuffed into a large trunk the size of my body. Still drugged up, I couldn’t do anything, but as the lid began to close, I heard one of the British accent man say, ‘What a shame Madame Laflamme is making us do this to Boss’s kid.’

Sighing heavily, I watched as the 9mm bullets began to pop out of my wounds one by one, “I figured they buried me when I began to smell the dampness of the soil. I limited my breathing by remaining calm. Eventually, I began to starve and became light headed from lack of oxygen. None other than Madame Laflamme and my father found me. Come to find out from the news, a pair of illegal Russian men looking for cash, took me hostage for ransom, and my father paid them off. Pfft, that wasn’t true at all. I survived three days locked in a trunk, buried alive by my evil step mother herself. My dad had no clue about this until the third day. I knew she was doing this so that my dad would pay more attention to her, and it was all simply stupid.”