ventisette

A couple of days passed in a whirlwind of sightseeing and history lessons. The days were long but enriching, filled with visits to museums, ancient ruins, and iconic landmarks. Yet, despite the hustle and bustle, my thoughts often drifted back to Jessim and our unexpected reunion.

Finally, on the morning of our fourth day in France, our history teacher gathered us all in the hotel lobby for an announcement.

"Alright, everyone," he began, his voice carrying over the excited chatter of the group. "You've all done an excellent job engaging with the historical sites and activities we've covered so far. As a reward, you now have the next week and a half free to explore France at your leisure."

A collective cheer erupted from the students, and I couldn't help but join in. The idea of having free time to roam the streets of France and perhaps reconnect with my past filled me with both excitement and trepidation.

"Just remember," Mr. Rossi continued, raising his hands for silence, "we're meeting at the airport in a week and a half to head to Spain. Make sure you're ready to go, and don't miss the flight. Your freedom ends at the gate," he added with a chuckle.

~

My phone buzzed with a familiar notification. Jessim had been texting me regularly since our reunion, and although I had been genuinely busy, part of me had also been hesitant to see him again so soon. They weren't any crazy conversations, just him asking the same question everyday: When are you free?

Well now I could tell him I have the whole week free. So I texted him back to let him know.

"Chiara, I need to tell you something," I said, trying to keep my voice casual.

She looked up, curiosity sparking in her eyes. "What's up?"

"I'm meeting Jessim today at Parc du Champ de Mars," I admitted, watching her reaction closely. "But can you keep it low-key from the rest of the group? I don't want to make a big deal out of it."

Chiara's eyes widened in surprise, but a slow smile spread across her face. "Of course, Luna. Your secret is safe with me."

"Thanks, Chiara," I said, relief flooding through me.

She nodded with a knowing grin. "Just make sure to tell me everything later!"

~

I arrived at Parc du Champ de Mars, the sight of the Eiffel Tower towering majestically in the background. Like my old view in my old room at my old place with my dad used to be. The park was bustling with life—families picnicking, couples strolling hand in hand, and children playing games on the lush green lawns. I spotted Jessim leaning against a tree, his familiar figure bringing back a rush of memories.

He looked up and saw me, a smile spreading across his face. I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness as I walked over to him.

"Hey, Luna," he greeted, pulling me into a warm hug. The scent of his cologne was just as I remembered, and for a moment, I allowed myself to get lost in the familiarity.

"Hey, Jessim," I replied, smiling up at him as we pulled away.

We found a quiet spot under a tree and sat down, the sun filtering through the leaves and casting dappled shadows on the grass.

"So, how have you been?" Jessim asked, his eyes scanning my face as if trying to read every emotion.

"I've been good," I said, nodding. "You?"

"I've been alright," he replied, a hint of sadness in his eyes. "Family's good. What about yours? How's your mom?"

"She's good," I said. "How's your brother, Tarik? He always was so intense."