𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑡𝑤𝑜

'If you love two people at the same time, choose the second because you wouldn't have fallen for the second if you truly loved the first'
~johnny Depp.

"She had a panic attack but she's fine now". Dawud stared at sudais and his friend sighed.

"Just go easy on her". Sudais tapped his shoulder and Dawud didn't know how to respond.

"Thanks for everything man". Sudais nodded and left the house.

Dawud sighed wondering how to meet Rahma, he went up the stairs and stopped in front of the door of her room then changed course to his room.

He went into his bathroom, took a bath and performed ablution then went to his closet and wore his usual night clothes— sweatpants and a shirt. He left his room for Rahma's.

He spent a minute outside calming himself then raised his hand and knocked on the door. He stood another minute deciding not to knock again when he heard shuffling inside the room. She opened the door slightly.

He stood looking at her, she was no longer wearing the dress from earlier, she had changed to something he didn't know as the hijab covered her. He cleared his throat and brought his gaze back to her face.

"Have you prayed Isha?". He asked.

"I just concluded".

"Let's pray nafila". She looked at him and after another long minute she realised he was waiting for her but since he hadn't moved to signal them going to his room, she opened her door wider and moved aside for him to come inside.

He stood in the middle of her room and she felt the room grow smaller, she went to her closet and searched for another prayer mat, she was sure she saw one when she was looking for what to wear. She found it and went back to the room where he hadn't moved an inch. She had never imagined herself in a room with Dawud, but here she was.

He took the mat from her and laid it in front of the one she had used to pray. He took his stand and she did too. She pushed every thought of her paranoia and dawud out of her mind and focused on the prayer.

Few minutes later, they were both seated then he turned to look at her and placed his palm on her forehead. She moved away slightly.

"I'm making mandatory du'a, Rahma". He said and even though she wanted to ignore it, she heard the slight hurt in his voice. Then again, Ali never said any mandatory du'a on their wedding night, he simply delved into satisfying his desires and fantasies of her.

He finished and moved his hand away. He stood up and she did too.

"How are you feeling?". He asked and she looked at him.

"Uh, fine". Ya sudais probably told him about her attack, she wasn't surprised.

"I would have loved to say I'll stay out of your business but that's not how marriage works, so I won't. I never thought you disliked me much". She stood looking at him, he didn't look serious. She didn't speak for a long time, then finally she spoke.

"I know how marriage works and I do not dislike you, Dawud". A small smile made it's way to his lips, focusing on her last statement and his name.

He reached out for her arm and pulled her closer to himself.

"Thought so". He whispered and she stared at him, shifting in discomfort but he seemed to be enjoying it.

He leaned down slightly and her breathe hitched in her throat. He ignored sudais' voice in his head telling him to go easy on her.

"There's food in the kitchen, goodnight Rahma".

He straightened up and left her there in the middle of her room, only after she heard the door close did she release the breathe she was holding.