The mental: part II (Jeremy)

Jess' pov
I watched as he progressed, we had spent many days together now.
He was still mysterious though.
Still tip toeing around as if he said one wrong thing everything around him would break.

"Jeremy" I mumbled as I threw the bouncy ball at the wall, watching it come right back to my hands.
"Jessica Harley" he mocked me, his eyes softly gazing at me.

I loved how he did that.
Call me by my full name.
"You can call me Jess, you know that right" I said, still tossing the bouncy ball into the air and watching physics take it back down.

"I'm aware, I just like your full name" he shook his head, a smirk painted on his lips.

Of corse we were interrupted by a nurse.
As usual.
"Mr.d-"
"Call me Jeremy god damnit, how many times do I have to say it" he cursed, hitting his fist against the cafeteria table.

Of corse he had these moments.
Where he would yell, punch things, throw things, kick things.

And of corse I never actually got his last name.
I knew it started with a d, but it never actually got out without him putting up a fight about it.
"I'm sorry, Jeremy. But please take your feet off the table" the nurse said carefully, I sensed that most of the nurses were in fact scared of jeremy, and because now I hang out with him more often, they tend to stay away from me now too.

"Fuck off" he muttered lightly before lifting his feet from the tabletop.
i rolled my eyes chuckling softly before returning my attention back to him.

"Jeremy, lets go back to your room" k asked before standing and tossing my yogurt cup into the trash.
He followed closely behind silently.

After walking down the long, narrow, and did I mention quite haunting hallway, we entered his room.

We sat down onto his bed, my feet dangling above the tile floor.
"Jeremy" I said again, as I did before but this time hoping that he wouldn't take the conversation into a different direction.

"Yes" he said, toying with his fingers, his eyes locked on the wall in front of him.
Which held the necklace.

"What's your full name" I whispered, his eyes darting in my direction.
"Why do you care" he asked, his tone completely changing.

His eyes were now dark, and empty.
Instead of light and full of mystery.
"I just never knew your last name..i want to know it" I said, my voice barely audible.

"Well you probably won't ever know, so just make something up" he mumbled before standing up and walking to the wall that contained the necklace.

His hand slowly wrapping around it and pulling it off the wall.
"Have you ever fallen in love Jessica Harley?" He asked, his soft tone coming back.
I shook my head slowly, it was true.
I've never felt a strong affection toward anyone before.

"Good" he chuckled shaking his head.
"Have you" I asked, my eyes following him as he walked around his room.
He stopped at his window peering out onto the rest of the building.

"Yes" he softly replied, still looking out the window.
I nodded my head in understanding.
The necklace must be his girlfriends.

"Is that necklace your love's" I asked, still watching him as he turned around.
"It was" he corrected me, now walking back to the wall and hanging it back up.

My eyebrows furrowed as I toyed with my shoestrings.
"Why not anymore" I asked, because I wanted to take advantage of the fact that he was opening up.
For once.

"I lost her" he mumbled, his eyes staring down to the ground, "she drowned"
I sat, startled by his sudden confession, and now piecing together why he never let anyone touch the necklace.

"How" I accidentally let out.
He looked up at me, hurt eyes, tearing up.
I knew this was an inappropriate question so I tried to recover.
"I-I mean you don't have to tell me if it's too hard on you" I mumbled afterward, staring into his empty eyes.

"She got stuck, under the roots, of a tree.. she drowned in a lake" he explained very blandly.. but I don't expect him to go into detail.

I slowly nodded my head.
"I'm so sorry Jeremy" I expressed by putting my hand on his shoulder.

His head now turned so we were face to face, inches apart.
"What was her name" I asked, if we leaned in any closed we'd be kissing, something I'd never thought of doing with Jeremy.

"Kathryn" he said, his eyes still looking deeply into mine.
His straight face slowly sinked into a smirk and I sat with furrowed eyebrows.
Why is he smiling.

He leaned in, kissing me softly for only a few seconds before pulling away.
"I'm sorry" he apologized with a sincere face.
His eyes pleading me to be fine with it.

"It's ok Jeremy" I mumbled lightly, a wide smile on my face.
"You know what actually made me like you from the beginning, you have eyes like kat.. the way they gleam I can't put my finger on it but it drives me in-"

"Mr.d-"
"Jeremy" he said softly, his gaze moving toward the nurse at the door.
"No female patients aloud in your room, you know that" she said, her hands on her hips.

I stood slowly from his bed and glanced down at him.
"Goodnight Jeremy" I mumbled with a smile.
"You know what kat always used to call me by" he asked, taking me by surprise.
Why would he ask me that?
As if I'd know?
"What" I asked, still smiling just to keep him happy.

"She called me by my full name" he paused and looked down to the floor before smiling, "good night Jessica Harley"

~ ~ ~
I woke up in the morning, putting on my slippers and hopping out of bed.
I had realized that he called me by my full name because Kathryn called him by his full name.
I also realized that he didn't want me to know his full name, because chances are that what I'd call him, and that would hurt him too much.

I raced down the hall, on my way to find Jeremy.
And tell him how much he means to me, and hold him close to me.

I reached his room, the door wide open and a nurse exiting.
"Where are you going" she asked, her eyes stern.
"I'm here to see Jeremy" I said, my eyebrows furrowed.

"Didn't he tell you" she asked, her jaw now slightly dropped.

"Jeremy was released late last night" these shot out of her mouth like a bullet and shot my straight in the heart.

I fell to the floor, my legs like jello.
And I didn't even get his full name.

The nurse bent down and lifted me slowly to my feet.
"Thank you" I muttered softly.
I glanced around me, then figured I just go into the room to remember him.

I walked into the blank room.
Nothing in the room anymore, except one thing.

The necklace on the wall.
I walked to it, opening the locket and looking inside.
There sat a note.

"Dear Jeremy Clayton Davis,
If there is ever a day when you fall for someone else, I might just loose it.
Love,
Kat

It was obviously written before she died, but still sentimental.
I can't believe he left it behind.

I took it off the wall, holding it in my hands.
Slowly I draped it across my chest and tied it around my neck.

Jeremy Clayton Davis was his name.