Seven

The sea was surprisingly calm when the captain left his ship with three other soldiers to accompany you to the coast. Gout splashed on your face, icy kisses from the sea.

The (H/C) hair whipped around your ears as you strained to recognise where you were being taken on the small boat.

The Empire of Japan was a single large island with many small islands around it. That made it so difficult to capture or even reach. Hardly any nation had enough ships and was experienced enough to conquer the sea.

But now you could see it, right in front of you. There was an island and the smaller Mongol boats were anchored on the coast of it. Under the cover of night, they had managed to reach safe ground.

Nothing would stop them now.

Torches flickered in the wind as the boat hit the sand. It rocked, wobbled. You jumped ashore without permission. A rush of adrenaline coursed through the rest of you. There was sand under your feet, solid ground.

After all these months at sea, you were finally so close to your destination.

"Where are we?", you asked, clutching your bag tightly in both hands as the men moored the boat ashore.

The salty scent of the sea was still in the air, but there was also something else. Grass. Trees and flowers in bloom.

How long has it been since you smelled something like that?

Felt the grass between your fingers?

Your eyes immediately wandered over the sandbank in search of crustaceans. Crabs could taste delicious, especially when at sea there was usually only fish and dried grain that had been soaked in milk. Sour, fermented milk.

Disgusted, you shook yourself. The days of hunger were finally over. Not far up a slope, the first trees were already lined up. Where there were trees, there would be a forest, and in forests animals hid. Hunting prey, mainly. The thought of a grilled deer made your stomach growl.

"They call the island Tsushima.", the captain grabbed you by the collar.

Every step you took sank into the sand. You wondered how the Mongols managed to move on this ground. They were heavily armed, with equally heavy weapons and physiques.

The crackling of torches blew in the wind while smoke made your eyes water. Not far from where you arrived, Khotun Kahn had set up the first camp on Japanese soil. Planks creaked under the weight of the captain.

White linen wafted in the wind. The Mongol tents were no more than shelter from the worst of the weather. Soon they would begin to take the interior and then make all the villages theirs. So it was with the Chinese.

Glances looked around for you as the captain pushed you along the rows of tents to a spot in front of the largest tent. Gold gleamed in the glow of the torches.

"I hope you were successful and did not waste my time waiting.", the Kahn's voice shook the island.

The captain pushed you forward into the centre of the war council. You bowed to the men. Both out of politeness and because your head was dear to you.

"A second boat follows.", you greeted him, deliberately not mentioning what cargo it was carrying.

Given that only the captain knew about his visit to you, it was better to keep your lips sealed. The health of the Kahn had to remain a secret.

Humming with satisfaction, Khotun Kahn raised a hand.

"You are dismissed.", he said to the men. "Each of you."

The guards at his side frowned in confusion. Their eyes fell on you. There was nothing to worry about. To them, you were just a woman and Khotun Kahn was the general.

Even a blind man could have recognised that you were physically inferior to him. And nobody assumed that you would try anything anyways.

And you wouldn't either. Not yet, at least.

Still bowing your head low before him, you waited until all the men had left. Dark shadows danced across your face as you looked up again.

With a grunt, the general indicated that you should follow him, turned round and disappeared into the tent. As he walked, you noticed how cramped he looked, as if there were needles stuck in his shoes. He could barely bend his knee without exhaling heavily.

Possibly an infection between the bones, you thought to yourself and followed him. Inside the tent, it was dark but very warm. Furs lined the floor, chests and furniture adorned the unstable walls.

Your gaze was immediately caught by a sword. The blade shone like polished moonlight. The Kahn had presented it together with the sword sheath on a wooden device.

Scarlet blood stuck to the sharp side. It still smelled of iron and raw meat. Whoever had been killed with it had not been dead for long.

A grin appeared on his bearded face when he noticed your curiosity.

"The Japanese are an interesting people.", he stopped in front of the sword and ran his fingers over it. "They have masterful weapons, perfectly trained warriors. Better fighters than the Mongols."

A shiver crawled down your spine. You dared not pretend to be convinced otherwise. The Mongols fought fiercely and to the death, but they were neither tacticians nor skilled soldiers. They simply killed with their bare hands when it served their purpose.

"Which poor devil did this sword belong to?", you asked instead.

He laughed quietly to himself. His fingers wrapped around the hilt of the blade, so much lighter than the sabres of the Mongols, so much more elegant and precise.

It looked as if it could cut through falling leaves and leave a clean edge.

"The Japanese call it a katana.", he raised the sword into the light so that the candles were reflected in it. "Unlike us, they don't give a blade to just anyone. They have to be earned. From samurai to samurai."

You frowned.

"That sounds impractical."

He laughed again.

"Clever woman, because that's what it is. The samurai are nobles or truly gifted fighters who have earned their rank. Only the shogun can appoint them. That's why their number is small.", he put the katana back in its holder. "But don't let that fool you. One samurai can kill a hundred Mongols. If you believe the stories."