Chapter 11

Jon Snow. Winterfell.

Six months later.

Robb and I were practicing our swords in the courtyard of Winterfell, until at one point we were summoned by my father, who looked... displeased. We silently followed him into the dining hall, where the rest of the Stark family had already gathered, along with Maester Luwin, Lady Kinvara, and Sir Rodrik.

When everyone was seated, Father gave Lady Kinvara a brief nod. She rose from her seat and walked to the center of the hall, holding a small crystal in her hand. Then, squeezed it in her hand.

- If the crystal is activated, then everyone is already gathered. - I heard Lord Solomon's voice, and I looked around for him like everyone else.

- You don't have to look for me, because this is just a pre-recorded message," the voice continued, "And it means I've already left Winterfell.

I froze, and my hands clenched into fists.

He's... left Winterfell? Left us? Did we do something wrong? Did I do something wrong?

- It's no one's fault," the voice said in a soothing tone, "Unfortunately, I need to travel, and I couldn't stay with you. I hope Ned will not hold a grudge for my sudden departure.

Father's face twisted unhappily.

- But I couldn't do otherwise. The North is ready to look to the future, unlike other lands. And times are changing, and I need to prepare the ground for that, for what is sure to happen will require all the strength this land can provide.

Lady Kinvara's face took on a Sirious look.

- To appease your displeasure I have left gifts for you that await in your private rooms. And I do not bid you farewell, for we shall meet again. Perhaps in a year. Perhaps in ten. But the meeting will happen. And I sincerely hope to see you all alive and well.

I lowered my gaze so as not to show my face to the others. Lord Solomon is never wrong, and I don't think he'll be wrong this time.

- So keep a clear mind and look twice," the voice said in a reassuring tone, "And remember, Winter is coming.

At these words, the crystal in Lady Kinvara's hand disappeared, and no one in the hall said anything.

A sense of loss flashed through my mind. Lord Solomon had become a mentor, a friend, and most importantly, a father to me. Even more than Lord Stark himself. His soothing stroking of my head gave me peace and the promise that everything would be all right. I gave everything I had to prove myself worthy of this bond. And now...he was gone. Even though I knew it wasn't anyone's fault, the feeling of sadness and abandonment overwhelmed me.

I... felt an emptiness in my heart. But a tiny flame of hope and faith in Lord Solomon burned brightly deep within it. And when we meet again, I will be something he will be proud of.

I swear it. To all. To the gods.

With a shake of my head and a glance at the others present, my Origin activated. Which allowed some insight into their emotions and thoughts.

Father had a disgruntled look on his face, as if Lord Solomon had burned Winterfell, and the latter just looked at him and shrugged. In addition to displeasure, the father felt indignation and trust.

Lady Stark did not know how to react. Her mind was in turmoil, deciding exactly how to feel about this. She felt only uncertainty and confusion.

Maester Luwin sighed tiredly, regretting not having time to learn more about Lord Solomon's lands. His mind had only humility and a slight sense of discontent.