Chapter 18

Eddard Stark. Winterfell.

Robert and I were in the crypt and standing in front of a statue of Lyanna. He does this every time he visits Winterfell, which further proves that he was obsessed with her.

- 'I loved her, Ned,' Robert said simply, looking at the statue, 'Until the bitch dragon stole her from me.

Not quite. Now that I can look at the situation from several angles, I can say it wasn't exactly love. Lyanna was defying the odds. She believed that only herself would dictate her life, which is what caught Robert's attention.

All ladies are the same and similar. Embroidery, pretty talk, long dresses, modesty, helpfulness and the like were considered the norm. The only exceptions were a few, like those born on Bear Island, well, or Lyanna and Arya. They weren't afraid to speak their minds in front of anyone. Their voice was loud and clear.

That was what drew Robert to them. She was the white crow in a sea of her black sisters. Lianna was just another land for him to conquer. A jewel he wanted to keep to himself alone.

A trophy.

And I can see that clearly now. And he's fixated on her because he's never seen another woman like her. Beautiful, strong, exuberant and fun. Leanna saw that and that's why she made a different choice.

I sighed tiredly and rubbed my temples.

Such a headache.

- Hmm? What's with all the sighing? Tired of your king? - Robert raised an eyebrow at my actions.

- Just remembering what's happened over the past few years. - I shook my head.

- Oh, by the way, who was that sorcerer living in your castle?

"Lived"? So someone informed him of Solomon's departure. And it worries me that my men have no idea who's taking the information beyond Winterfell's walls.

- He saved Jon three years ago, and I took him in return.

- And when did you find out he was a sorcerer?

- The first time we spoke, he admitted it himself. Besides, he calls himself a "Magician," not a "sorcerer."

- One's shit or the other," Robert dismissed, then looked at me, "John's dead, and I need someone I can trust. King's Landing is a cesspool of snakes, rats, and similar pests, but I'm the fucking king and I need to be there.

I chose to remain silent.

- Now I need your help. As a friend, and as Hand. Do you accept that position, Eddard Stark?

Sighing tiredly to myself, I got down on one knee in front of him.

"Southwind, eh? Well, at least now I'm looking wider and also have eyes and ears there. I wonder how quickly I'll become the next assassination target?

- Yes, Your Majesty.

- Good! - Robert said contentedly - Now that that's done with, let's go upstairs. I'm thirsty!

-0-

Sansa Stark. Winterfell.

- What a shithole," Prince Joffrey grinned, looking around. "And you live here, my lady?

- Yes, my prince. - I nodded, and that was the end of it.

- The King's Landing is much more elegant. It smells disgusting, though. - He added, to which I only nodded silently.

After the royal entourage had settled into Winterfell, the prince called me out for a walk to show me around. He didn't call me, but ordered me to.

I used to think it was every lady's dream to find a prince, marry him, and live in a castle, but now? Only the last point makes sense, and not always.