Prologue

On the outside it looked like an abandoned military complex, and on the inside it looked like the sleep quarters of more than one homeless person. If you had the misfortune to enter the wrong building, however, you would find the complex had a very big secret, a secret that people have been imprisoned to keep.

      You see, the complex had never truly been abandoned, and if it ever truly was, it was for a brief stent after the conclusion of WW2. But on December 19, 1945 an organization we like to call the Experiment moved into Fort Gawith, a base so small that it didn't even have it's own Wikipedia page. They started off with experiments on animals, mainly trying to figure out if they could code an animal's gene sequence to contain the coding of an incompatible animal, and then they observed the outcome.

     Most of the time the animals turned out horribly deformed, and if they managed to survive gestation, they lived only moments after birth. After the death of the creature- they could no longer be considered animals, because they weren't- it was autopsied, and was examined down to the smallest detail.

     For years the scientists, who were top military scientists and had enough awards between them to rival most colleges, worked without any significant advancements, until the day that they tried a combination that in twenty years of operation had never before been tried; a chimp and a lynx.

      The creature that resulted was deemed a scientific miracle when it not only survived birth but lived for days after. In fact, the scientist believed that if the creature had not been rejected by its mother, who then proceeded to sit on it until the creature died, that it would have lived a relatively normal life span. After the death of the creature, whom the scientists had started to refer to as Miracle, they quickly set about creating more and more of the creatures, this time taking care to separate them from their parent and hand raising them.

     Once they had had many successes with the creatures, which were  given the name Simia Lyngem, or Simia for short, the scientists started observing how the combined strands effected the outward appearance of the creature. The Simia had the thick spotted fur and ears of the lynx, as well as the too big feet that were accredited to the feline, but only the back paws. The Simia had the hands of the chimp in the front, as well as the muscle structure and face. The torso was the most grotesque part of the already grotesque creature, it had the thick build of a lynx, but towards the rear it tapered off into the thin hips of the chimp. The stomach of the creature was relatively bare or hair, the way a chimp's was, revealing the creatures multiple cat teats, and standing at about the size of a full grown German Shepard the Simia Lyngem was not pleasant to look at.

     The creature was also amazingly intelligent, with the chimp's already impressive cognitive abilities added to the lynx's feline cunning, agility, and hunter's instincts, the scientists speculated the Simia, if given the chance, would be an impressive predator. However, the creature was never given the chance, with all of its food being served to it freshly killed, the scientists made sure that the Simia would never learn to use the chip's sharp fangs or the lynx's sharp claws.

     Once the scientists had a large group of the Simia they started in on other experiments with their new creatures. They monitored how the creatures would do in a pack situation, and found that the creatures much preferred to be in the company of their own kind, they even set up a hierarchy. Once the creatures where in place in a pack, the scientists gleefully observed how they mater, it was the usual way of the lynx, and then waited with bated breaths to see if one of the abominations could carry a fetus to full gestation, and then keep it alive. They were ecstatic to learn that the answer was yes.

     Soon though, after ten years of studying the creatures that they had created, the scientists were bored with the fact that they were no longer the creators of new and innovating things, and as the older generation left, the newer wanted to leave a mark that was as great as their predecessors'. So the  young scientists started to expand on the research of the older scientists, they wanted to see if you could combine an already living thing, with a different type of DNA.

     Since success had already been made with the DNA of the Lynx and chimps, the scientists decided to start with those. Taking a young chimp, the scientists started to weave the DNA of the lynx into the living creature. Just as before, many of the experiments died, and questions of ethics arose. But at this point the government was threatening to rescind funding if new results were not found, and so the scientists pushed on.

     It was on June 15, 2000 that the scientists finally had the break through they had been searching for since 1974. And that breakthrough was named Miracle 2. The scientist had spent over 30 hours working on slowly and carefully weaving the DNA of the lynx into the DNA of the chimp, and they had no hopes of the four month old creature surviving the procedure, in the way that dozens before it had failed to do so.

     But when after the reviving shock to the heart that was meant to wake the creature made the heart monitor jump with signs of life, the scientists rejoiced. They set in on shifts after that, watching the vitals of the newest Simia, who with each passing hour looked more and more like the natural born Simia, and when, nearly two days after the procedure, the creature opened its eyes; the scientists were quick to write of their success to the government, who had been their sole source of funding for as long as they could remember.

     Sadly , that was when the government let their true reason for the millions of dollars given before known. That was when the government brought the humans who would be experimented on to the base. That was when I was created.