Empty Sky

"You have got to be kidding me. Not you too," I said, staring the fiery eyed demon down.

"What do you mean?" Shaddai asked, looking taken aback for the second time in our conversation.

"Don't you dare try telling me you did not just imply that you want war."

"--I---wasn't going to-- but that is what I meant," He started, and then paused and looked at me a little sideways, "I'm just a little surprised at how quickly you accepted that implication. What did you mean by me 'too'?"

I put up a stony expression, trying to hide from the impending doom I felt I was watching unfold.

"Believe it or not, you're the second to talk like that. Noah beat you to it."

"I am fairly sure I like him. Which is rare, I might add." Shaddai said. His voice was so casual. It made me want to strangle him.

"Shaddai! You, better than anyone, should know what we are up against. I am a full supporter of fighting from our personal corners, but war? I once fully believed you were a mad man, and I'm starting to think I was right."

"Ellany, stop," He said cooly, "I do know what we are up against. You know that. And the reason you are so afraid is because you know that when prince pessimism--" He said with an almost smile, "--comes to you believing we have what we need to set this right, you want to believe him. You know I'm right. That's why I see so much fear in your eyes."

For half a moment I wanted to believe I'd seen genuine care in his honey eyes, but it retreated as swiftly as it had come.

"Think of what they did to you. You have the power to stop the same wretched things from happening to other people." He said.

"You mean what you did to me," I mumbled just loud enough for him to hear.

"Elle don't turn this on me, you know what I am. You always have, and somehow here we are. I'm not asking you to lead an army today."

"No, but tomorrow always comes too fast."

He sighed.

"Fair enough. You don't have to make this decision right now. There is one thing, however.." He said, obviously trying to gauge my reaction.

I rolled my eyes, and avoided his stare.

"And what is that?"

"At the moment we are about a six leagues from fallen Tyrelle--"

"From Tyrelle?" I cut in, all pretense gone.

"Yes, and it's swarming with my father's army. Normally that would not concern me, except that there is also a ingryd refugee camp just a league from us, and the army is making ready to send out a troop to--" He paused and grimaced slightly, no doubt looking for the right word, "--dismantle it. I need you to help me stop them."

I was struck with a happy kind of disbelief.

"You want me to help you protect the innocent ingyd people in the refugee camp from gherian forces? ...Who are you and what have you done with the good ol' vengeful, uncaring, resentful man I thought you were?"

He simply kept looking at me, waiting.

"I haven't fought in ages. I'd be of no use."

He held his stare.

"In fact I'll probably not only be of no use, I'll die a useless, sorry death," I went on, desperately trying to make my point.

More silence.

His gaze finally broke me, and I gave him an exasperated sigh.

"Does that mean you will?" He asked.