Vantage Point

I sat on the platform that supported one of the spires of the Cathedral-like sturcture. It was a strange place to find a willowy girl, lost in her thoughts and sitting uncommonly still. In fact, it would have been impossible to get to unless one could sprout scaly wings and fly.

I leaned against the warm metal of the spire, and stared unseeingly at the landscape that rolled out around me. There were Giants in the courtyard just over the ledge of the roof in one direction that were discussing things in low voices as they packed supplies onto a cart. Not even their concerned tones were enough to pull me from my thoughts.

I could only think of Shadaii.

I was fairly sure he was alive. That conclusion came mostly because of the terrible ripping sensation I was fully expecting to feel in my soul if he was torn from this life. My universe was still holding together, so he must be alive, musn't he?

He was either very brave, or a complete idiot to even attempt what he was attempting. I would never forgive myself if he were killed. Luckily, I wouldn't need to try as I'd have died right along with him; if not physically, emotionally and spiritually for certain. Worry ate at my insides like a terrible poison, and I let my eyelids slip closed; trying to fight it.

The memories of the night in the clearing washed over me again, as forceful as ever. I longed to feel his arms around me once again, and the burn of his touch. I longed to have my closest friend to speak to about the Great Head and his decision - about the Ghere lurking outside the city. Just to be near him!

I pulled in a breath and was about to let it all rush out of me when there was the distinct sound of wind in feathers, and I stilled myself. I opened my eyes peered and around the corner of the spire. At first glance, I chided myself for being so on edge, for it appeared to be a large owl that had landed on the sloping roof -- but then the scent hit me. The dust in its feathers hid their pure black color, and it was too big to be an average owl. It faced away from me, talons clicking against the stone quietly as it made its way nearer to the edge of the roof.

Stiffening, I pulled myself behind the spire again. A Ghere spy? How had that possibility escaped me? The King had ordered the people to make preparations to leave, but that they must do it in absolute secret. He feared the Ghere would realize that their offer was no longer being considered. But now, as I thought about it, it was all too likely that they already knew. If only I had been watching for this! I nearly growled to myself in frustration and disgust.

I knew I needed to warn the King, but I couldn't very well do nothing about this winged Ghere creature. He was watching the giants below packing supplies at this very moment. I wasn't going to allow this to add itself to my long list of failures.

Knowing the sound of shifting flesh would give me away, I only pulled at my core until it was just brimming, only barely kept out of my veins, and placed a careful foot down from my perch onto surface the roof. I watched the bird's turned back, ready to shove the fire into my bloodstream at the drop of a coin. I was silent as I crept toward the edge of the roof to the creature's left.

If I startled him from behind, he would probably slip off the roof and lose me in the maze of corridors and alleys that I couldn't navigate with my wingspan. I needed to force him in the direction of the sky. I made it to the edge of the roof, and slipped over it's edge, hanging by my grip on it's rim. My feet found the familiar ledge a few feet below. This decorative stripe of stone rounded the whole building and was only just wide enough to stand on, even with my enhanced sense of balance. I stepped slowly along it, gripping the cracks in the stone with my fingers, until I reached the corner where I knew the Ghere was standing. I was positioned beneath him, hidden by the roof's overhang. Below me were the occupied giants, seemingly oblivious to the scene above their heads. I took a breath, steeling myself, then released the molten venom.