A Leap of Faith (part 1)

I sat on the floor in my room, enjoying the coolness of the smooth stone. Lingering fatigue from the nighttime excursions of the last two days weighed heavily on my eyelids. I felt like I hadn't slept in weeks. As if the exhausting hours I spent in the woods weren't enough, Aywa had insisted that I come with her today when she went out to help the arriving elves get settled. I enjoyed being of use, especially to those who really needed the help. I'd spent all day setting up tents, unloading carts, and caring for animals in the heat of the sun.

There was a feeling hanging in the air of the citadel; an ominous sense of dread. They were coming here carrying not only everything they owned, but also the awful weight of disparity and fear. I saw it in their eyes. Even the children could sense their parent's burden. Every time I let my mind dwell on their misfortune, my heart ached for them. The memory of Shadaii's words repeated again and again in my head.

"You are the key to ending him, Elle. You are the future of this hell-ridden world."

He expected me to save them. But how could I? How had this awful burden fallen upon me? What was I except for a naive Aristathian girl, cursed to become a monster when the correct emotions surfaced? Yes, there was a certain thrill to roaming the woods as a beast; with heightened senses, and the strength and stamina of three bulls, but what did he honestly expect me to do about an entire nation of horrible creatures preying on the innocent?

I took a deep breath and leaned back against the wall. However impossible it seemed, I knew deep down in my soul, that if there was anything I could offer--anything at all--I wouldn't hesitate to give it, no matter the cost.

A scuffling sound outside my door caught my attention.

"I must! It is hers!" came a voice from the hall.

"Ahmi, you dont know what you're talking about! Please, let's go back to our quarters---" another voice said.

"I must deliver it! It is hers!"

There was more scuffling and something soft hit the other side of the wall I was sitting against. I swiveled around and put my ear against the door.

"Ahmi! You are tired! Please come back with me!"

The woman sounded desperate and something nudged me to help her. I picked myself up off the ground and unlatched the door. The moment I pulled it open, someone and burst into the room. In my surprise, I jumped back, and the elderly elf who'd nearly landed on top of me slammed the door closed behind her in the young woman's face.

Dumbfounded, I stared blankly at her glassy blue eyes. The small old woman stood there, breathing heavily with her back pressed against the heavy wooden door. I could still hear the other elf's muffled protests from the other side of it.

"Wha--" I started to ask, but suddenly found I was lacking a distinct question. I tucked my hair behind my ear and licked my lips, unsettled by her silent, calculating stare.

I cleared my throat and tried again.

"Hello..."

"Why do you doubt your identity?" She said, her voice sounding old and worn.

Taken aback, I studied her for a moment. Was it possible? Did she know? No. She couldn't. There was no possible way. My exhaustion was making me paranoid.

"What exactly do you mean?" I asked, deciding to humor her.

She watched me a moment, then slowly shook her head as if I'd disappointed her.

"Sometimes I wonder at how the head believes it owns the soul. Like a proud king who, because he believes himself a toad, is convinced he rules a kingdom of toads, when truly they are giants, and he commands no one at all. If only he would listen to them, he would know he too is a giant."