At the Gates

There was a somber mood around the fire tonight. It had grown more and more so each night. Noah and the saints' arrival yesterday had lightened the mood, but only briefly. Now, again, we waited. The feeling was not so much sadness or fear, as anticipation. Sometimes it felt like waiting for some kind of terrible end. Other times it was the anxious hope for a new beginning. The small fires were the only lively things in the woods this late at night.

I watched Jakob and Ezra's conversation through the carefree wisps of smoke. Noah sat beside me, and Japheth beside him. The boy had taken to whittling something out of a stray branch.

"Has anyone ventured up the mountain yet?" Noah asked, glancing over at me.

"No," I replied, pulling myself from my thoughts, "No one's dared. Why?"

"It's just a little curious that history's most notable stronghold is a days hike away, and we're huddled in the woods, don't you think?" He said, the twinkle in his eye a little dimmer than usual.

"You can be first, old man, and let us know if you feel the tides of the war shifting in our enemies' direction."

Noah shook his head.

"That place will be the reason we win this battle, Ellany."

I looked into his tired green eyes, trying to vicariously experience his ever-flowing fountain of faith.

"Go with me up the mountain, Heiress, let us go tonight."

It was my turn to shake my head. As much apprehension as I felt, I needed something to break the endless spinning of time, and I could do nothing except trust this man.

"Tonight? Are you sure? It was only yesterday that you arrived, and surely that was journey enough for a month at least," I said.

"Tonight, my girl. My bones and my soul wish to move." He said, grunting as he stood and stretched. Surprised a little at his spontaneity, I suddenly felt a more invigorated. What was better for the soul than adventure?

"We'll be back by morning I'm sure, let your mother know," Noah was telling Japheth as I stood and pushed the hair back from my face.

Adventure! I breathed to myself. Perhaps this is was what I needed.

No one asked after us as we walked away from the fire. Only Jakob gave a lazy wave in my direction and Occhie didn't even stir when I stepped over his sleeping mass of fur.

Side by side, we made our way through the campfires, and quiet circles of people. It became a steady uphill climb as we reached the edge of the trees and with a glance to our left I could make out the mouth of the cave I had been occupying in the distance. Our breath was visible in the cold night air, and I noticed Noah shiver slightly in his coat. We followed no trail, though perhaps we should have.

As soon as we had rounded the slope enough to hide us from ghere eyes, I slowed to a stop and closed my eyes. Concentrating, I pulled at my core, letting just a small stream run into my blood and directed it to my left arm. I felt the familiar pooling sensation, and then the strange liquid oozed from my palm. With a bright flicker, a flame lit across the skin of my hand.

I smiled as I watched it burn for a moment -- bright and steady.

Looking up, I found that Noah had turned to watch.

"That's -- useful," He commented as I trotted up to him, holding my burning hand aloft like a torch.

"And more than a little dangerous," I replied.He chuckled as I tugged my sleeve a little higher.

Neither of us said mentioned the fact that I could have just flown us to the stronghold. I wasn't sure of his reasons, but mine had something to do with enjoying the exercise and the chance to stretch my legs. It felt nice to breath a little heavier and feel the blood beat in my ears.