⩩ 21

━━━━⊱❀ • ❀⊰━━━━

The next morning, the city was just beginning to stir with the soft hues of dawn painting the skyline

The next morning, the city was just beginning to stir with the soft hues of dawn painting the skyline. Jake maneuvered his dump truck through the early morning traffic with Haein seated next to him.

Despite the events of the previous night, he couldn't shake the feeling that things hadn't really changed between them. Haein broke the silence abruptly, her voice cutting through his thoughts.

"Drop me off here," she insisted.

Jake glanced at her, catching the determination in her eyes reflected in the morning light filtering through the windshield. "I can't, the hotel is still far away," he replied, his tone measured.

"I want to walk."

"You can walk as much as you want in the hotel."

"So you're not gonna stop the car?" Haein shot back, her hand on the door handle.

Jake nodded in response, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes before refocusing on the road ahead. "Is that so? Bye bye," he teased, assuming she wouldn't go through with it.

To his surprise, Haein swung the door open without hesitation. Panic surged through Jake as he urgently called out for her to reconsider, his concern evident in the urgency of his voice. She dangled one leg outside, her expression determined yet daring.

"If you don't stop the car, I'm jumping," she declared firmly, her eyes locked with his.

Jake's grip on the wheel tightened instinctively, torn between amusement at her audacity and genuine worry for her safety. He glanced at her, his brow furrowed with a mix of frustration and concern.

"Haein, stop," he pleaded, the weight of his words heavy with worry.

She held his gaze unwaveringly, her resolve palpable. "Stop the car right now," she demanded, her voice leaving no room for negotiation. "I dropped my sandal."

Jake halted the car abruptly, his grip tightening on the steering wheel as Haein swung the door open. Her defiance hung heavy in the air, challenging his resolve. He turned to see her poised on the edge, one leg out, ready to jump if he didn't comply. Panic surged through him, urging him to act before she followed through with her threat.

In a heartbeat, he was beside her, hands instinctively reaching out, not sure if to catch her or stop her. His touch was gentle yet urgent as he checked her over, his fingers brushing lightly over her arms, her shoulder, seeking reassurance that she was unharmed.

Relief flooded him when he found no injuries, but his eyes flickered down to her bare foot, knowing the shoe she had lost was more than just footwear.