Episode 6: Ready, Set, Aim, Fire • Part 2

The middle of Incheon Island's most populated neighborhood is rioting. Full of people wishing to break free from government oppression, the streets are packed with eager listeners. Hongjoong takes the stage with a megaphone in hand.

His trusty companions watch him preach from their positions. Pirates rattle the ground with their Halazia chants identical to Daegu Island.

Hongjoong's charisma drips like honey from his lips, and admiration doesn't accurately explain the feelings welling up within Seonghwa. The more he observes the captain, the more he believes in him. Lately, his heart has been racing faster when they spend time together. Each moment they share leaves him craving more interactions.

Halazia. It's a concept The Wonderland lives by. Seonghwa loves the sentiment and mentally praises Hongjoong's genius.

A queasy feeling settles in his stomach suddenly, like a centipede trailing his organs. He notices something odd; things are too easy. Soldiers should've come to stop them by now.

He's not supposed to leave his post, but he needs to warn the captain. He has a strange feeling that they should leave. San and Yunho exchange baffled eye contact when Seonghwa slides around the crowd to reach the stage.

"Hongjoong. Hongjoong!" Seonghwa whisper-yells, afraid to alert the audience, but it doesn't reach his target's ears over the Halazia chants.

"HALA HALA. HALA HALA."

"Don't let them steal your voices. Don't let them own you. Take back the key to your hearts and—"

Lines of soldiers file into the venue wordlessly, and their late arrival quiets Hongjoong. There are enough to counter the pirates, and the main issue is the intimidating man leading them. Incheon's citizens cower fearfully, recognizing one of their scorned own.

Coincidentally, Incheon Island is where Kwon Minhyuk was born. He smirks, and that is enough to have ants invading Seonghwa's skin. This man provokes stronger recoil than the musket.

Jongho joins his side and mutters, "It's Commander Stiff. What awful luck."

The medic furrows his brows. "'Commander Stiff?'"

"Kwon Minhyuk. The Tyrant Queen's right hand, governor of the kingdom, and the scariest motherfucker in the royal military."

Hongjoong raises his megaphone, his eyes never leaving Minhyuk. "Attention Wonderland! Evacuate the citizens now!"

Minhyuk twirls a gun on his finger, whistling calmly. "If anyone moves, they'll all die. Of course, I have no problem with that, but I'm sure you do, Pirate King."

Tensions are higher than Heaven's gates, but there is nothing holy about this unforeseen event. Just to prove his point, the commander points his pistol at a random innocent. Right before he shoots, he sneers and redirects the barrel to a nearby pirate. The bullet lodges into their chest, and they crumple.

All hell breaks loose. Furious comrades attempt to avenge their friend as the Queen's military starts attacking all at once. While trying to get away, several Incheon citizens are caught in the crossfire. Seonghwa and Wooyoung hurry to guide the injured out of the way.

The Wonderland splits into teams: rescue the commoners and fight off the soldiers. Hongjoong leaps from the stage and brandishes his sword. Slicing every opponent in his way, the captain uses skills he would rather not have to.

Even San, who is more adept at martial arts, unsheathes his sword for defense. Jongho and several other gunslingers leave incapacitating injuries, but they don't kill unless the enemies are too stubborn for their own good. Yeosang helps the evacuation efforts, protecting the townspeople with his rapier.