Chapter 17: The Calm

It had been over a week since Dillon had joined the Scouts. The first thing that happened was that the Wings of Freedom emblem was added to his jacket. While that was cool and inspiring, it was nothing compared to the green cloak he was issued. He had no idea what it was made out of, but it felt so nice and looked so cool. Not to mention the fact that it kept him warm during the cold days and nights, so there was its practical use.

After the introductory week, the cadets, now labeled as rookies, were sent off to different squads throughout the Regiment. During the Expedition, the rookies would have to depend on these squads, completely, to keep them safe. In order for them to reach the point where they could depend on their respective squads, they needed to work with them and get to know them.

Currently, Dillon was following Section Commander Dieter Ness to his squad via horseback. The horses the Scouts had were much faster than the ones he used back in Training. He almost fell off when his horse took off with great speed, but he managed to adapt quickly. Ness told him that he would need to train with his horse often so that his steed would get used to him and follow his commands. He would also need to come up with a name for him.

Fifteen minutes later, Ness pulled on the reins, making his horse come to a halt. Dillon did the same as a black-haired man who looked older than Ness approached him.

"Morning, Darius," Ness greeted, dismounting.

"Dieter, what a nice surprise," Darius replied, shaking his hand as he eyed the teen behind him. "So, this is the rookie you've forced upon us."

He let out a chuckle. "This is Dillon Amsdale. Ranked five in the Training Corps."

"Number five, huh? Maybe the Titans will taste the difference."

A frown quickly appeared on Dillon's face.

Ness rolled his eyes. "Try not to test that theory during the Expedition. We need all the soldiers we can get."

"I'll whip him into shape," he swore.

Ness, after dodging his horse's attempt to eat the white bandanna on his head, turned to Dillon. "Amsdale, this is Darius Walbrunn, you're new squad leader."

Instantly, the blacksmith saluted.

"At ease, kid," Darius responded. "We'll take it from here."

Nodding, Ness got back on the horse and took off, leaving Dillon along with the squad leader.

Darius smirked, seeing how rigid he was acting. "Relax, kid. This isn't boot camp, and I'm not Captain Levi."

"Yes, sir," he replied, trying to loosen up a little.

"And don't call me 'sir,'" he ordered. "Makes me feel old. Bring your horse to the stable and I'll introduce you to the rest of the squad."

"Yes, si—Squad Leader."

Once Dillon got his horse settled in, the rest of the squad made themselves known. Two of them were black-haired males, though one had a mousey face. The last one, however, was young woman with light brown hair.

"Dillon Amsdale, meet your comrades. Jensen Auttenberg," Mouse Face, "Marcus Brotz," The other guy, "and Maria Adler." She was the only woman in the squad.

"I'm looking forward to working with you," Dillon said sincerely.

"Let's get one thing straight, rookie," Marcus stated, stepping forward with a glare. "There are three things I hate in this world. Titans, horse poop, and ass-kissers. If I wanted my ass kissed, I'd go find a prostitute, so don't even bother trying."

Dillon gulped, thinking that he just made a terrible start.

The glare quickly receded followed by a chuckle. "Easy there, rookie. It was a joke."