Chapter 30: Point of No Return

It had been a long time since Erwin had what could be considered as a good day. Arguably, the most recent good day he had was when Eren was discovered to be a Titan Shifter and sealed the Wall. It was that moment where everything changed in favor of humanity. Then, Annie Leonhart came into the picture, someone who had a wealth of information just begging to be shared. Unfortunately, that came at a price when he allied himself with the mass murderer out of necessity. No matter how anyone cut it, that's exactly what happened. He would not regret his decision, though the ones in the Interior were making it difficult for him to focus on the positive.

"The reputation of the Scout Regiment is dangerously low, Commander," Zackley had told him once they were alone in his office. "Wall Sina's inhabitants have been calling for your head and the immediate disbandment of your Regiment ever since the Stohess Attack. Allying yourself with the Female Titan only made things worse."

"It was a necessary evil, sir," Erwin had explained. "The information she has given proves we made the right call."

"For us, you would be right, but, we are dealing with a large breed of people that cannot be sated by these revelations. In fact, it would only serve to increase their panic and make their resulting actions far worse. You need something tangible that will calm the populace, something to prove that you are still fighting for humanity."

"Such as retaking Wall Maria," Erwin had pointed out. "It can be done, Supreme Commander."

Zackley had simply looked at him intently, easily rivaling Erwin's own stares. "This is not the first time you have said that, but this must be the last. The next time you go on an expedition, don't come back unless you complete your mission. If your entire regiment is devoured by Titans in your efforts, it's a better fate than the one that awaits you should you fail us again."

The ultimatum was a long time coming, yet it still infected Erwin's thoughts ever since he left Zackley's office. No more could he perform secret missions within the actual Expedition. There was only one goal that mattered, and failure was not an option.

"Someone kick your dog, sir?"

Erwin glanced at the drawl captain. "You should be resting."

"Get your leg broken and then tell me if you can rest after that," Levi said.

Humanity's Strongest Soldier was currently ordained with a cast around his leg and bandages on his face, yet none of that was what took Erwin off guard when he saw him. In the eyes of the captain, he could a mixture of primal rage and brokenness. Six years ago was the last time Erwin saw Levi in this state, making him wonder what Elise, a woman they never knew about until recently, could've done to bring that out.

Unfortunately, the fact of the matter was that the mission had failed. Both Mandel and Marlena were in critical condition, forcing those two remain in Mitras for treatment. They did the best they could under the circumstances, but Erwin doubted the two would ever be fit to fight for the Scouts ever again. Even the MPs that fought alongside them could be commended for going up against Elise. A shame that their deaths ensured that Matthew's secret was still intact.

The carriage finally came to a halt outside Headquarters where Hanji and Levi Squad awaited them. They saluted Erwin as he stepped out first, but their collective eyes widened upon seeing Levi in the condition he was in.

"Captain," Petra whispered as she and the others moved to help him.

"Back off," Levi growled, giving them all a look a warning. Using the crutches the doctors forced him to use for the rest of the day, he began making his way towards the castle.

"War room. Now," Erwin ordered, following the captain inside.

It didn't take long for them all to arrive and take their seats, Erwin at the center of it all as usual.