Chapter 9 : Flashback

I unpack my stuff and start arranging it in my  room while Arnaud goes to the kitchen to fetch something for me to eat, which reminds me that I have still not seen the kitchen. I make a mental note of  having a  look at the kitchen, in case I'm in need of a midnight sncak. It's always useful to know your way around.

I can’t believe it was just yesterday, that I shared an apartment with my best friend, I had a date with the most handsome guy on earth, on whom I had been crushing (without his knowledge of course), I was having the time of my life ,and it all came crashing down, the precious glass ball of my perfect life was shattered into a million pieces.

I know I'm being overly dramatic but it just feels this way, like in the typical Bollywood film when everything is going right, something wrong has to happen to shake the perfect equilibrium in the protagonist's life but the hero makes a dramatic entry and saves the day. The story of my life would make for such a good Bollywood movie.

Arnaud in the manner of a true hero, a knight in shining armor like those in the romantic movies and Mills and Boons novels my mother loves to see and read, saved the day. I can't help but think of the events of the last night.

Flashback

“ Why will you stay on the street?”

The concern in his voice breaks  me and I sob into his shoulders telling him the whole story.

“Zoya, mon amour, calme-toi. Calm Down Honey it’s Ok.”He embraces me,  running his hand up and down my back in a soothing manner, trying to calm me down.

This is the first time Arnaud has used a term of endearment for me and I cannot help but sob harder into his chest. Pathetic I know, but I feel so sad that it came out in such an unromantic atmosphere,

“ Don’t worry about anything. I’m right here and I will take care of you. I promised Didn’t I?” I nod my head still wiping my tears unwilling to tear myself away from his warm and secure embrace and not trusting my mouth thanks to me being in such close proximity to  him.

“ Zoya, écoute.  I have a modest apartment and I want you to move in with me,” He says with a sincere look in his beautiful golden eyes.

I’m  surprised. Astonished is the word which comes closest to describe that feeling.

 “But Arnaud, I can’t..” I protest.

“No Zoya, I will not listen to anything. You will eat your dinner right now and then you’re going home to pack. I will not rush you into it. Take your time, I will come tomorrow morning to pick you up and take you to my place.”  Arnaud tells me determinedly. 

I know it's a lost cause trying to fight him because once he sets his mind to something, he achieves it and currently his mind is set to taking me home but I still try.

“ Arnaud I can’t do that. I don’t want to be a burden on you.” I try to put sense into that stubborn French brain.

 “Trust me Zoya, you’re not. I have a modest apartment. It’s too big for me I feel lost in it, I was planning to get a roommate in any case. I just never got around to placing an advertisement in Craig’s List. Good thing too. Now I can have a smart, sexy, absolutely drop dead gorgeous roommate. I can imagine the long line of guys waiting to catch a glimpse of you, making silly excuses to enter the apartment to see you.” He says with a knowing grin on his face.

I can’t help but smile at this comment. He knows how to cheer me up.

“ Aren’t you getting a little too far ahead, taking into account I haven’t said yes till now?” I inquire curiously.

“ No, I’m not, because I will not let you go anywhere else. You are coming home with me and that’s final. I’m not taking No for an answer.” he says with a definite nod of his head trying to end the debate of my accommodation there.

“ What if my answer is No?” I ask him sweetly.

“ Simple, I will hoist you over my shoulders and carry you to my apartment.” He says it as though it is a matter of little importance and he does it every day for a living, immediately an image of Arnaud dressed in a fireman's outfit carrying me on his strong shoulders pops into my head and I start blushing furiously. Arnaud  does not seem to notice this sudden and continues, “ Or even better I will carry you bridal style into my house, How does that sound?" This makes me blush even harder. I'm sure I must have turned scarlet or a shade darker than that.

Although,it wouldn’t be that bad. I can imagine myself like that,

Not Again!

Where are my thoughts leading me? What happens to the rational part of my brain every time I come in close proximity to this God given gift of pure male hunkiness? 

“ Ok. I will come but on the condition that you allow me to share the rent.” I say with a determined expression.

He looks flabbergasted as though I have asked him to donate his kidneys for auction his favorite piece of art.

“ Share the rent. Not at all. It’s against my principles and my family will bury me alive if they hear about it. You don’t want that I’m sure.” Arnaud tries to persuade me.

“I’m Sorry, Arnaud but I insist. That’s the least I can do for all the troubles that I’m putting you through.” I dig my heels unwilling to relent.

“Zoya, Now is not the time to discuss this. I’m sure we will work something out. Right now you need to eat. Here you go..” He says trying to distract me.

He feeds me a spoon of the chocolatey birthday cake.

“Damn you know my weakness. I love chocolate.” I tell him accusingly.

"Guilty as charged. You know what?" he says softly.

"What?" I ask curiously.

“ I love chocolate too, especially when it tastes like this," Saying this he brushes his lips across mine lightly.

“You had a little chocolate spot  there.”He smirks.

AN : Finally another chapter. Please Vote and Comment. Would love to hear what you think of this brewing romance between the two. Hope I didn't disappoint you.