Chapter 15 : Nicknames and a Shock

“Guess who?”

I have personally always hated this prank. It’s so stupid to cover someone’s eyes and question them about your identity based solely on your voice. If I ever come across the person who started this stupid prank, I’ll be sure to give him/her a piece of my mind. Or maybe I'll just do the same thing to them after gouging their eyes out.

“Come on, don’t keep me waiting so long,” the voice starts to grow impatient as my brain tries to link the voice to a face, to make some sort of connection.

None at all.

“Gee, I don’t know.  Russell Crowe, is that you?” I say sarcastically.

 When plagued in such thought-provoking situations, my brain chooses to go into sarcastic mode.

“Come on Zo-Zo, you can do way better than that.  You never liked him. You used to cry every time I made you watch his movies,” the voice whispers again, but this time something clicked. 

Zo-Zo.

The name rings a bell.

It’s been a long time since I heard it, practically a decade. I abhorred that name, but was unfortunately stuck with it.

It started ten years back, on a scorching summer afternoon in the backyard of my house in Delhi. My dad had made a swing on the Banyan tree out of a rope and a broken wooden plank to keep me occupied. It was here that I spent most of my summer holidays, sometimes solving math problems and reading. That was until I met Jaynarain Venkatramanbhavani (Quite a mouthful, I know.)

He was my neighbor and we were in the same class, but we hardly ever spoke to each other until that fateful summer day.  I still remember how he jumped over the white picket fence, which is no easy feat, considering that he was overweight for anyone our age, (that’s what you get for being pampered silly and allowed to fill your pockets with junk more than half the time) and came towards me. He had over-sized glasses and a bad case of pimples.

I thought that if I pretended not to notice him, he would go away, leaving me and The Famous Five alone, but he had something else in mind.

“You’re Anjali Subramaniam’s daughter right?” he asked me.