Chapter 26 : When The Subramaniams Met the Tatous.

Disaster dɪˈzɑːstə/

noun

a sudden accident or a natural catastrophe that causes great damage or loss of life.

denoting a genre of films that use natural or accidental catastrophe as the mainspring of plot and setting.

an event or fact that has unfortunate consequences.

Catastrophekəˈtastrəfi/

noun

an event causing great and usually sudden damage or suffering; a disaster.

the denouement of a drama, especially a classical tragedy

Tragedyˈtradʒɪdi/

noun

an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

Lying on my bed in the top floor bedroom that is reserved for me at our sprawling bungalow in Karol Bagh, New Delhi, I am contemplating the different words that humans have to define a sad and tragic incident in their lives. Although there are a quite a  few, I don’t think anyone can come close to describe the meeting that took place yesterday.

It is the main reason why I’m here in India and not in the U.S with my Hrithik Roshan hot, French version of a boyfriend.

“ What happened?” I hear you asking. Well, Imagine this,

VENUE : Waldorf Astoria, New York.

“Why NY?” I hear you ask

The Subramaniam matriarch who wields most of the power in the household, had to attend a conference on ‘New Approaches To Mathematics In the Technological Era’ and prolonged her stay in Manhattan to meet her daughter and would be future son-in-law.

Also it served as neutral territory.

The prospective son in law being French who lives in the States, and her staunch Indian roots demanded that the meeting be held in a place free from the influence of either of the two countries in focus.

The third reason that she is unwilling to admit but I became privy to after I reached home was that she wanted to shop in Manhattan. Believe it or not she had a suitcase full of branded stuff. Every bag possible : Macy’s, Bloomingdale, Chanel. You name it and she has it.

TIME : 4PM

The mother wanted a neutral time that was suitable to all in question and therefore chose 4PM

Now that we have the scene set.

Think of a hotel, the best one that comes to mind, now multiply it by times ten. That’s where we were seated. Five people. Three men, of varying ages, one elderly lady and of course, yours truly.

The three men in limelight were the boyfriend, his father and the said boyfriend’s elder brother. Imagine a slightly older version of Arnaud, with salt and pepper hair, that is Mr Tatou.

Seated next to him in a royal blue kanjivaram silk sari with thick gold border and chunky colorful jewellery, is my mother. Her glasses perched on her nose surveying the table with keen interest. Besides her, is yours truly, dressed in jeans and a white peasant top with blue flowers. Nervous as hell, twiddling her thumbs.