{Jade}✨ Knowledge is power

Review of "knowledge is power"

Cover Design: 3/10
The current cover image, while striking, does not effectively represent the story within. The stark photo of a girl's face conveys an inspirational non-fiction feel rather than evoking the sense of a YA fantasy adventure novel. To better capture your target audience, I recommend collaborating with a professional cover designer to create an original illustration or digital composition. The cover should feature iconic elements from the story, perhaps depicting Sage with her sword against a magical backdrop that hints at the world of Erecore. Use an eye-catching color scheme and stylized title font that clearly positions this in the YA fantasy genre. With the right cover redesign, the book will make a strong first impression and stand out on the shelf.

That said, I want to emphasize that you have an intriguing story with a lot of potential, so don't be discouraged. The cover is simply one component that can be improved. Focus most of your creative energy on crafting an absorbing tale and memorable characters. A lackluster cover can always be changed later, but a compelling story is the foundation everything else is built upon.

Title: 5/10
"Knowledge Is Power", while a profound sentiment, feels too broad and cliché as the title for this specific work of fiction. It doesn't quite capture the unique scope and ambiance of Sage's magical journey or the mythical realm she explores. I would encourage you to brainstorm alternative titles that more directly reference the key fantastical elements and central conflict in your tale.

Perhaps consider something that alludes to the mysterious Hollow Sword, Sage's quest, the ticking clock of her 18th birthday, or her identity as the prophesied heroine. The title could also hint at the themes of your novel, such as Sage's personal growth, the power of friendship, or the clash between good and evil. A more distinctive, plot-relevant title will give readers a clearer sense of what kind of story awaits them.

I know it can be challenging to distill an entire novel down to a few words, so take your time with the brainstorming process. Run potential titles by friends, family or beta readers to get a sense of what piques their interest. Remember, you want a title that is both memorable and meaningfully connected to the deeper layers of your story.

Blurb: 4/10
The current blurb succeeds in outlining the basic premise - an orphan girl whisked away to a strange land where she must fulfill a dangerous quest. However, it lacks the specificity and stylistic flair needed to truly hook readers and leave them eager to dive into the pages.

I would suggest opening the blurb with Sage's inciting incident to immediately thrust us into the action. What exactly is the "mysterious force" that transports her? Can you give us a more vivid teaser of the world she lands in? Build intrigue by raising key questions about Sage's hidden powers and the cryptic quest she's destined to embark on. What challenges await her in this race against the clock?

To make the blurb pop, focus on punchy, evocative language rather than vague generalities. Sprinkle in a few juicy details that showcase the allure of your fantasy setting and the depths of Sage's character. Draw us into her emotions as her whole life is upended. Compare the stakes of her mission to the void left by her lost loved ones. 

When refining the blurb, it may help to study the descriptions of popular, comparable titles in your genre. Note the techniques they use to spark the imaginations of their target readers. With a few revisions to heighten the sense of excitement, danger and wonder, your blurb will leave readers craving more.

Characters: 6/10
Through Sage's wistful memories and spirited defiance in the face of hardship, you've crafted a relatable teenage protagonist that readers will sympathize with and root for. Her touching reunion with Caden highlights the warmth and resilience beneath her loneliness. These opening chapters feature some poignant character moments, like Sage's complicated feelings over the news of Ms. Asha's attempted adoption.