chapter three || shrimp filet-o burger

chapter three: SHRIMP FILET-O BURGER

"I like your cloak!" blurted Miruka, pointing at it alarmingly. Somehow, she wasn't able to make normal conversation with him like any other person.

Well, he isn't any other person. This is Kenma-kun, the boy I've avoided talking to since first year...

Crap. I haven't talked to him since first year!

He was in my class that time too!

The awkward silence was so thick, it could be cut with a knife. And unfortunately, no metaphorical knife could end this moment quick enough. They had taken many pictures with fans of GALAXY's END and somehow were able to undergo the stiffness between them.

This could possibly be her millionth cosplay convention, but this was something she had never experienced. She attended them in secret, knowing that it would be a mistake to mention it.

After all, what happened in middle school wasn't too great after she dropped it in a conversation.

Miruka gulped, taking in all her courage to speak first.

"Kenma-kun!" she began, twiddling a piece of fabric from her tunic. "I'm - I'm honestly sorry I never made an attempt to talk to you since the day we both arrived here. I was rude and disrespectful!" She made a sudden bow, making Kenma flinch harshly. "I apologise greatly!"

"Uh - um, Asano-san," Kenma mumbled expressionless, but underneath panicking like hell. "I forgive you. I'm not that great with making friends and - "

"YOSH ~ !" she yelled, fist pumping the air with a sparkle in her eye. She settled down quickly and gave him a soft smile. "That doesn't matter. I should have still made an attempt."

"Asano-san, it's fine." Kenma said lowly again, no expression found on his face.

But somehow, she could see right through him.

"I can tell you don't want to voice your opinions because of the fear of rejection, but I won't go too into that for now," Miruka muttered, a pair of cat-like amber eyes widening in shock. "Although, for now, can I at least buy you McDonalds?"

She pointed directly at the restaurant, the glimmer in her eyes not fading away.

Kenma's eyes on the other hand, were larger than ever, stupefied at the fact someone other than Kuro found that out. And he'd even had to tell Kuro that himself. Then, as always, he kept his cool and nodded.

It was hard to hide that minuscule smile that appeared out of nowhere.

• • •

"One cheeseburger, one Shrimp Filet-O burger, one pack of fries and two Colas, please ~" Asano ordered, handing the cashier the money happily, unfazed by the fact he was gawking at her outfit the whole time she was choosing. "Thank you, sir ~ !"

"N-no problem, ojou-sama!" he spluttered back, confused at the girl who looked like a Queen from another world.

Well, Kenma thought. She is dressed up like one.

Their order came fast and they found a seat on the second floor next to the window which was a miracle because of the people from the con near who were eating and getting ready to get back on the floor.

"Sho ~ Kenma-kun," began Asano through mouthfuls of shrimp after they both took a few bites out of their food. He held back the urge to laugh at her face. "What gotchu in chu G-END?"

He blinked at the half-eaten burger below him and fries that were almost untouched. Taking a quick sip of Cola, he made eye contact with her once again. "Friend."

"Cool," she smiled, now munching on a fry. "Favourite chara - "

"Seiun."

Asano let out a loud laugh, clutching on to her stomach lightly. "Of course, why would I even ask that?" she said to herself, letting out the occasional giggle. "As you can obviously tell, I like Areiya the most. Why Seiun?"

"Everyone overlooks him," Kenma said, with the most amount of feeling and dialogue he had shown today. "But even if he isn't flashy or causes the most damage, with the right movements and choices, his abilities are great."

Asano stared at him, surprised at his excitement towards the game. He did't show any feelings in his features, but listening closely to his voice he was clearly enthusiastic about it.

"Wow," Asano said in shock, finishing the last bite of her burger. "That's amazing. I only like Areiya because she has the prettiest weapons, hehe! "

You're kidding me.

Kenma resumed back to his normal state, quieter than ever. But somehow, the silence felt easier. More comfortable. Easier to manage. Was it the costume giving him the confidence? Or was it Asano-san?

Where did all this courage come from?

"I know. I'm not really pinned down as the type who would, huh?" Asano looked at the table with a somewhat sad smile. "I guess I just don't mention it much."

Asano was lying.

He didn't push it, he never would have been brave enough to do it anyways, and let it be. It was a personal reason and he only just talked to her today.

"Crap!" she squealed, eyes caught on the clock on the wall beside them. "I have to go..." She gave him a determined look and held out her hand, her tiniest finger pointing straight at him. "I don't want this conversation to be a one time thing. We'll talk in school, promise?"

Kenma gazed at her hand, admiring all the hand-crafted rings on each finger that were part of the costume and the fact she was still not running away from his boringness.

Hesitantly, he took it with his own finger, squeezing it lightly.

"Promise."

• • •

hey guys! sorry for the wait, haha! i've been having a few problems outside of wattpad to explain my hiatus but i refuse to go in deeper on that subject as it very personal.

BUT BUT forget that and pLEASE vote for the story and give me feedback. it means so much and i appreciate it hugely. thanks guys!

~ transparent in image is not mine and credited to the original creators ~

- michaela