chapter fifteen || watermelon slice

chapter fifteen: WATERMELON SLICE

It felt like the whole world was spinning after each step they took, adrenaline and excitement rushing through everyone. The whole Nekoma volleyball team was in hysterics, laughing and talking till they couldn't breathe. If it was the summer air or the presence of a new member, they all knew and felt that this was a feeling they couldn't let go.

The field was covered by a clear blue sky and Miruka was dragging everyone around the open space, barefoot. A large checkered cloth was laid on the grass, as well as a few picnic baskets almost overflowing with food. A volleyball soared over the boys, Miruka running under it in time.

"Let's play, Kenma," she giggled, jumping towards him and tapping his shoulder. "You're it!"

He simply stared and shook his head, fumbling for his video game console. "Wait, I — !"

"Gotcha!"

Somehow, the PSP was in the girl's hands, herself running across and sticking her tongue out.  She waved it around wildly, mouthing taunts and her fingers beckoning him. That stupidly adorable grin plastered her face, rosy cheeks glowing as he stared mindlessly as he acted shocked.

Then he ran.

Lev squeaked, watching the shorter people (well, everyone was shorter than him) race across, wreaking havoc, passing him precariously. His hand acted as a shield for his eyes, gazing at the frustrated half-blond and the cackling peach-head.

"Oh ~ Miruka-san runs fast!" he commented, Yaku's attention now focused on the pair. 

The libero sighed. "Those guys . . . Young love, am I right?" Kuroo nodded in agreement, listening to his best friend calling out for his most treasured item back. 

"It's great that Kenma's talking a lot more," mumbled Kai, letting a rare smile appear. "Practice seems a lot better when he suggests more ideas. Nekomata's eye for new members never wavers, does it?"

Miruka stopped abruptly, the setter crashing into her from the amount of speed he was using. She howled with laughter, lifting his blonde hair away from his face as she sat in front of him. He flushed with red, slyly grabbing his PSP with a glare. The manager apologised, rubbing her head and bringing him back up with her hand, not letting it go till they made it back to the picnic.

The black haired captain shook his bedhead. "Never."

"Hah, that was so fun," exclaimed Miruka, diving towards a slice of watermelon and chucking another to Kenma, who caught it with perfect reflexes. "Today is so amazing!" It was hard to ignore the girl's ecstatic voice, which felt warm and filling.

Inuoka tackled Shibayama, both of them grinning at each other as they playfully bickered over some mochi. Taketora roared with glee, slapping the both on the back and grabbing them for himself. 

Yaku snorted. "Yeah, if you exclude Taketora almost shattering that vending machine, Kuroo trying to 'seduce' those poor girls for those game tokens and Lev knocking down that cyclist."

The team recalled those moments and sweat dropping at how embarrassed they felt. But they were fond memories, all of them holding a small place in their minds. They promptly returned to eat, sharing stories and tales from their matches and lives. 

It felt so peaceful, just pitching in with random bits of their past. It wasn't like spilling your entire life story – but it felt like they were becoming closer. The topic was on their schools and what they got up to. 

"What? I was bullied in middle school, so I transferred here," Miruka mentioned casually, all eyes and talking stopping at her statement. "It's no big deal, really. I got over it quick."