chapter nineteen || blueberry parfait

chapter nineteen: BLUEBERRY PARFAIT

The second day of preparations had started. Miruka was flying through this entire day with ease and a cheerful attitude.

The signs were all up and most of the advertisements had been completed. Kenma followed Miruka around and helped her with any odd jobs, reluctantly conversing with others because of Miruka's persuasion.

Yesterday, the Nekoma Volleyball Team had made it a team objective to get to know Miruka better and find out more about her previous life before Tokyo.

Surprisingly, it was tough. Most of her responses were normal and held little to no detail. All they got from today after countless attempts was that she lived with her brother and his wife, liked animals and the fact that they were all being annoying.

"Are you sure you want to keep up with this?" questioned Yaku, raising an eyebrow. "Whenever we ask her anything she never continues the conversation after that which makes it awkward and leaves us with a general answer."

"Nope!" exclaimed Kuroo, shaking his head. The bento box on his lap moved with every jerk of his head. "We've gotta know what's in the peach head's brain. Don't you think it's even a little suspicious that she never says anything?"

"We know about her past middle school," prompted Lev, counting one finger on his hand. "That her favourite drink is milk and she had two friends she liked a lot in middle school!"

"There's not much and — " Kuroo continued, before getting interrupted by the loud ringing noise.

That's one step I guess . . . Kenma thought, the school bell blasting through the area again.

Everyone parted ways back to the preparation of the festival. The atmosphere was lively and students roamed the grounds holding materials and supplies. Kenma caught the eye of Miruka who was hauling posters and sticking them up.

"Kozume Kenma!" she shouted, calling for him abruptly and gathering a little bit of attention. "Come here, I've a job we need to do,"

He walked to her slowly, sighing to himself. Being friends with a Miruka was always filled with fun interactions, but her extroverted nature was always a barrier that felt difficult to cross.

People probably thought he looked silly.

Kenma pushed the lingering thought to the side.

"After school, we need to help choose the cats that are compatible with our needs," she began immediately, giving half of the insane amount of posters into his hand. He dropped a little from the weight and wondered how strong was she exactly.

"So are you free? It'll only be a few hours and it would be a real help,"

Her voice was pleading and he did not have the power to refuse a person like her. One, she had always been persuasive and two — he would never admit this, even in his thoughts — she was just too damn cute that he lost all ability of saying no.

Before he could stop himself, she was already dancing with happiness. "Thank you so much Kenma! I'll see you after practice then."

He sighed again and watched her run off to stick up more posters. She grinned at more people she passed and set off. The more she kept talking to another person, the more he wanted to be in their place.