Chapter 73. Hoax

Just because I wanted her dead doesn't mean that I don't love her. That's what repeated in my head as I watched her sleep.

It was no secret that we changed over the years, both of us drifting to different ends of the moral spectrum. And the way she spewed those threats at me? Well, we clearly had no problem being at each other's throats now. It was fair game as far as I saw it. I couldn't do it immediately, no. I'd have to wait, to be patient. I had a long list of people I needed to kill and she was currently at the bottom of that list.

My number one target would be attending our dinner this Saturday, so maybe after watching him die, she'd be reminded of my power. She'd come around, apologize, make amends. She'd be able to live. I hoped she'd come around, for the sake of our children, and for me. My love for Soarynn still remained, but I had to put myself first right now, put this country first.

She'd be doing this country a great service by becoming a sort of martyr. At least that's the way I painted it.

I'd be kind and gentle, she wouldn't suffer. That I'd make sure of. But then she'd be dead . Utterly, permanently, dead.

I mean, how many times did she have to die before she got the point? After she sang the children to sleep she returned to our bedroom. She took her shower and slipped into bed like nothing unusual had taken place tonight. Like we hadn't threatened to end each other's futures then and there.

It truly amazed me how we were able to get at each other's throats like that, like wild dogs. But humans are capable of some truly evil things, especially when you throw twenty-four of them into the arena. But we were in a different arena right now, and as everyone knows, there can only be one Victor.

"The bombing was a huge success, sir. It managed to dismantle any more rebels from organizing against us, and left no survivors in the group attempting to flee."

For the first time all day, I smiled. The reception to the bombings had been wonderful— except for Soarynn's —the Capitol was more patriotic than ever and best of all, I was a hero. "I'm pleased to hear that, and what of the remainder of Nine? Are they still set on rebelling?" Quintus and Arthus shook their heads, "No, in fact, they're quite shaken up from the entire ordeal. The added Peacekeeper force has helped with keeping them hard at work as well," Arthus happily reported.

Good. I nodded, "Well, it sounds like our message was driven home as we intended for it to be."

There were a few more things we had to do to ensure Nine was in no shape to rebel ever again. "Tonight, I want you to execute the Mayor," I ordered, "we can't allow him to run Nine if he can not control the people in it." Quintus grunted, "Wonderful suggestion sir. Shall we do it publically or in secret?" I shrugged, "Whichever you prefer. As long as it ends with a newer and more competent Mayor."

I didn't have time to play favorites anymore when it came to Mayors, sure I enjoyed some of their company, but they were all below me.

"Arthus, will you be attending the gala on Saturday evening?" I asked, desperate for a change in topic. He looked a bit surprised at the notion that he would even be considered for an event I was throwing as if he wasn't the Head Game Maker. "If you wish me to sir, I will happily attend," he replied. I smiled, "Of course, you're invited, it's rumored to be quite the show," I shared a knowing look with Quintus.

Arthus looked at the both of us, trying to piece the puzzle together, "I have every faith that it will be a night to remember," he said with a grin. It certainly would be.

I used to wonder why my Father was always busy with work. Why couldn't he make the effort to come home earlier, and spend time with Mother? But now I understand. Because going home meant going home to her.