Chapter Fifteen

Hours had passed since we arrived at the hospital, each second a relentless torment. Mom was still in the emergency room, undergoing a seemingly endless battery of tests. With a vacant stare, I sat stiffly on the hard waiting room chair, my eyes fixed on the closed ER door. Anxiety and fear gnawed at my insides, twisting into an unyielding knot.

My dusty, bloodstained body remained unwashed. The dirty, crumpled clothes were the least of my concerns; my mind was solely focused on mom's well-being. I kept hoping and praying silently, begging God to perform a miracle, to save my precious mom's life.

Time marched on, but each passing minute felt like an hour. The night grew darker, and exhaustion crept into my bones, yet I dared not close my eyes. Every time I tried to calm myself, the image of what happened to mom flashed back into my mind.

Trials upon trials tested my resilience, as if a storm of hardship was driving me to the brink of despair. Every hope I held felt so fragile, and I felt like I was teetering on a tightrope ready to snap at any moment. Desperation lurked in every corner of my mind, urging me to give up.

Amidst this storm of adversity, I fought to remain strong. I couldn't give up, couldn't abandon my family. They depended on me, and I had to be their unwavering pillar, even as the winds of hardship continued to blow relentlessly. In the anxious silence of the waiting room, I prayed incessantly, hoping against hope that everything would turn out alright and we would weather this storm together.

A nurse emerged from the ER, her steps quickening as she approached me. "Excuse me, but may I know your name?" she inquired, her voice gentle and soothing.

"My name is Lily," I replied.

The nurse's gaze fell upon my bloodstained, dusty clothes. "Are you injured, Lily?" she asked again, her eyes filled with concern.

I shook my head. "I'm fine! I just want to know about mom's condition. Is she awake yet?" I asked, my voice laced with hope and anxiety.

The nurse took a deep breath before responding. "Your mom is still asleep, Lily. She's still on a ventilator and unable to be aware of her surroundings or respond to voices. Fortunately, you managed to bring her here as quickly as possible. Otherwise, her condition could have become very dangerous."

Despair gripping my heart, I reached for the nurse's hand, tears streaming down my face. "Please, save my mom!" I pleaded, my voice trembling with fear and anguish.

The nurse gently touched my hand. "The doctors will do everything in their power to save your mom's life." She paused, her eyes scanning the room before returning to me. "Oh, right! Where's your daddy?" she asked.

I shook my head, fighting back the relentless flow of tears. "I don't know where he is," I replied softly, my voice almost lost amidst my sobs.

The nurse's expression turned grave. "Have you tried contacting him?" she inquired further.

I turned and looked at her with a puzzled expression. "What urgent matter could possibly require his presence here?" I asked.

"It's regarding the administrative fees," she replied.

My chest tightened further at her response. "My dad isn't here! My parents are divorced!" I exclaimed, my voice laced with desperation and suppressed anger. "I'll be the one to pay it! Whatever the amount!" I continued, my voice trembling.

The nurse seemed taken aback. "Alright, Lily. For now, you need to fill out your mom's personal information, attach a copy of her ID card, and complete a few forms. This is essential for the hospital's administrative process."

I nodded. My eyes then fell upon Aster, fast asleep on the sofa, her face serene despite the unsettling situation we faced. "Is there somewhere my sister can comfortably sleep? I need to step out briefly to handle all this," I said softly, trying to maintain composure.