Chapter Forty-Seven

Twenty years ago, when mom started sensing something was off with dad's behavior, and her suspicions grew stronger, she decided to visit dad's office downtown. The journey wasn't easy. She took a train that took about 20 minutes, sitting anxiously the entire trip, her mind filled with various possibilities. Upon arriving at the station, she quickly sought a taxi to continue her journey to dad's office. The ride took a while, but mom knew if she walked, she would arrive even later.

By the time she reached dad's office, it was late afternoon, almost evening. She stood in front of the large, sturdy gate, waiting with a heart full of anxiety. The office building loomed high before her, with the lights inside starting to turn on.

One by one, the employees exited the building, their faces weary after a long day of work. Mom stood a bit away from the main entrance, her eyes scanning each person coming out, hoping to spot a familiar face. The cool evening breeze began to turn cold, adding to the already gloomy atmosphere. Streetlights began to illuminate, and night slowly enveloped the sky.

After a while, the crowd exiting the office began to thin out. The darkness now fully surrounded the area, with only a few cars left in the parking lot. She continued to wait, her heart growing more anxious. She clutched her bag tightly, standing firm.

She kept watching, her eyes fixed on the office exit, hoping to see dad among the employees gradually leaving the building. The streets grew darker, and the streetlights finally lit up, casting light on the now-deserted sidewalks and road. The night air grew bone-chilling, the cold wind seeping through the gaps in mom's leather jacket, making her feel even colder. The jacket seemed to offer no protection against the freezing night air.

She stood there, her eyes peering through the gaps in the cold iron gate, trying to catch a glimpse of dad inside the brightly lit building. Time passed, and no one else left the office except the security guard stationed at the gate. The building now seemed deserted, with only the occasional sound of a door closing or footsteps fading into the distance.

Despite the biting cold, mom didn't lose hope. She continued to stand there, waiting for him patiently. Occasionally, she rubbed her hands together, trying to warm herself. The sky grew darker, and only a few cars remained in the parking lot. She started to feel tired, but she had no intention of leaving without seeing him.

The security guard at the gate had been noticing mom for the past few hours. He watched her movements, puzzled by a woman standing outside for so long. Finally, he decided to approach her. The bright streetlights cast his shadow on the sidewalk.

"Good evening, ma'am," the guard said kindly. "You've been here for several hours. May I ask who you're waiting for?" he inquired.

Mom turned, startled and a bit nervous. She didn't expect anyone to speak to her. "Good evening, sir. I'm waiting for my husband," she replied.

"Does your husband work here? Maybe I can help you find him?" he asked again.

Mom nodded, feeling a bit relieved that someone might be able to help. "Yes, my husband works here. His name is Mr. Sunardi."

The guard leaned in closer. "Who?!"

She repeated Dad's name more clearly. "Mr. Sunardi!"

The guard's expression immediately changed to one of surprise. "Mr. Sunardi? As far as I know, ma'am, Mr. Sunardi is on leave. His wife just had a baby last week."

Mom felt her heart stop for a moment. The guard's words hit her like a sledgehammer, making her head spin and her mind race. How could this be? Dad on leave because his wife just had a baby? This makes no sense! She thought.

She tried to calm herself and asked again, hoping there was some misunderstanding. "Sir, is it possible there's someone else at this office with the name Sunardi? Maybe you have the wrong person!"