9. Growing Friendship

I arrive at the bottom of the steps of the gazebo in what feels like the blink of an eye. Sneaking out of the house was as easy as always and running through the garden was a breeze since the dress I'm wearing is so light and moves like a dream; it didn't hold me back like so many other dresses that I own. I wasted no time getting to the fountain, stepping into it, and then running through the ethereal garden. Navigating the path to the gazebo wasn't even a problem since I've traveled it so many times. I was so focused on getting here that I didn't realize how out of breath I became as I start to gasp for air and keel over for a moment so that I can collect myself.

At the top of the gazebo, Mystery is playing the same song that he always does which really shouldn't surprise me at this point. Once my breathing is a bit more controlled and not as frantic, I ascend the glass stairs with a hand on the railing for support, and I hope that he is waiting to me as I've been waiting to see him. When I get to the top, I see that I'm right because the moment I take the final step, Mystery immediately turns to me with a smile as he lets his violin drop to his side. It's as if he was straining his ears to hear my steps for when I would come. From here, I can see the twinkle in his emerald eyes and his forest green outfit doesn't appear to be as strange to me anymore. The longer I'm around him, the less strange he seems to be since in growing used to it.

As I get closer to him, though, the twinkle in his eyes fades and the smile on his face turns to a look of worry. His eyebrows furrow as he closes the distance between us, and he lets me hug him. I was so focused on getting here that I didn't even realize that tears of frustration were streaming down my face like a river. His embrace is strong and warm. I sob with big heaves and hiccups but his hold doesn't lessen; it only tightens as he tries to comfort me. "What happened?" he asks gently as he tentatively rubs circles on my back.

I can't bring myself to speak though even when I want to tell him. Something about Mystery is very comforting. It makes me want to confide with him even though I wouldn't confide with Helena who is, and always has been, my closest friend.

After I cry for a few more minutes, my sobs start to lessen until they are almost nonexistent except for the occasional sniffle or hiccup. Taking this as a sign that I'm calming down, he gently pulls us apart and grips my upper arms, but not in the controlling way Mr. Daniels does; it's a way to tell me that he understands and is here for me even though he doesn't know what's wrong. His eyes look over me, and for once I don't feel like I'm being judged like I do when other people look at me. He is just trying to help me rather than pick me apart like my mother does when she finds my flaws. His eyes stop when they land on my exposed right wrist where my sleeve is torn and my bruises lie, and they widen with realization when he puts the puzzle together. "He hurt you, didn't he?" he asks softly, but it is apparent that he is trying to control his rage by the way he is slowly releasing a deep breath.

He slowly runs his fingers along the dark blemishes on my skin. He is being so gentle that it doesn't hurt; all I feel is the small tingles his fingers leave behind. "Yes," I say meekly, barely breathing. "But that's not why I'm crying."

He looks at me, one eyebrow raised as he looks into my eyes for answers. "Then why are you?" he inquires confused, his soft fingers still drawing shapes on my wrist.

Usually, I don't open up to many people about my problems because I feel like it makes me too vulnerable, but Mystery is an exception. I don't know what it is about him, but even though I just met him, it feels like we have some sort of connection. Maybe it's the way he comforts me without trying to figure out what's wrong at first since he lets me get my feelings out instead. Maybe it's the way that he held me up and didn't let go until I could stand on my own. Maybe it's the way we both feel each other's pain.

Taking a shaky breath to build up my courage, I start to reveal my whole story to him starting with my father's sudden illness and death. It was swift in his taking of him, painless in its assault. I tell him how I lived in the dark for six months, and how I hated every waking moment of it. I explain how my birthday started off like a dream but quickly turned into a nightmare. I tell him how my mother disrespected my father by breaking our mourning, and how she arranged a marriage between me and the horrid Mr. Daniels without telling me all because she didn't want to work for money. I recount what happened at the ball with Mr. Daniels threats, and how all of those events led me here, to the fountain, for the first time. Then I tell him about waking in my room thinking this place was all a dream, and then how I was forced to go on a walk through the gardens with Mr. Daniels. I explain that I got this bruise because of his engagement ring, which I only wear in the presence of him because I can't stand the bulkiness and coldness of it. Finally, I tell him about mother and I's conversation in the library, and how it quickly took a turn for the worst since I now only have three days of freedom left before I am sent to the mountains where my imprisonment will begin.