13. Celesta

Unlike yesterday which dragged on as if a snail were pulling it, today seemed to fly by like if it was on the back of a hummingbird. After our little confrontation at lunch, Mr. Daniels retreated to his quarters to supposedly do some paper work and hasn't been seen since then. It's a relief that I didn't have to see him at all the rest of the day, but I imagine that he has been spending all of this time plotting his revenge, so it's not much of a comfort after all in retrospect.

Thankfully, I hardly saw mother as well since she's been running around making and adjusting plans for the quickly approaching wedding.

As for me, I spent the rest of the day putting on a concert of sorts for the staff after Helena ran to get some of them, and after I played them a song or two, they ran and got even more until over half the staff was crowded in our musical dome which wasn't nearly big enough for so many people. Luckily, mother was too preoccupied with planning that she didn't notice the absence of the staff, but I doubt she notices them anyways.

I was nervous to be playing in front of so many people at first, but when I saw the joy it brought them as it spread across their faces, how could I stop? A few of them actually told me that the house has been too quiet since father died, and me playing is actually bringing life back to the place. They have no idea how heartwarming and meaningful their words were to me. Just those few syllables alone brought me so much confidence and seemed to make me play even better, or at least I thought so.

Now, the sun has set, the house has gone quiet except for snores and the occasional rustle of bed sheets, and I am excitedly skipping through the garden dressed in the simple, dark blue gown I was wearing earlier today.

I blend into the night as I near the fountain, my heart beating with anticipation at the thought of seeing Mystery again. No friend has ever made me feel this way, and I doubt that another ever will. Just the sheer mystery of him makes him all the more alluring, not to mention he has been nothing but kind after the events of the first night, but those are best left forgotten even though he seems to think otherwise.

I arrive at the mystifying fountain when the moon is newly in the sky, my heart beating in tune to the familiar trickle of the water. Without a second thought, I quickly close the distance between the stone monument and I, my mind on my friend the entire time.

Just as I step into the water and the glowing blue light starts to spread around me as its blue tendrils start to engulf me, I wonder, am I on Mystery's mind as much as he is one mine? A part of me doubts that I am, but the other stronger side somehow knows that I am, and just the thought causes butterflies to spread throughout my stomach and make me feel as if I could take off flying. I close my eyes, envisioning myself taking off into the star filled sky with Mystery by my side as we fly towards the farthest star possible, away from our problems and away from this world with no one to console in but each other. Nothing sounds better to me.

When the blinding light dims, and I open my eyes, I see a deep violet sky and glowing flowers all around me, and just outside the fountain stands Mystery dressed in his regal green and brown, an excited glint in his eye when he sees me. "Good evening, Sage," he says smoothly as he offers me a hand to step out of the fountain.

"Mystery," I say with a curt nod and a smile as I graciously take his hand. I step from the threshold of the fountain and he stands by my side, and then my mind begins to wonder. "Have you been standing by the fountain all day?" I think out loud.

If it was brighter outside, I think I would be able to see a blush on his cheeks as he tries to hide an embarrassed smile but is failing miserably. "What would make you think such a thing?" he asks, but his reaction explains it all. He never left the fountain all day as he awaited my return, and now it is my turn to blush. He looks at something behind me, a smile spreading across his face. "I want to show you something tonight," he says, looping his arm in mine. Just his touch sends tingles throughout my body that I fight to keep at bay.