Chapter 4: Boxer

Kimberly Jane

"Grabe ha, from the sound of this college dude, he has a shîtton of audacity." Sabi ni Nacho habang nakataas ang kanyang mga kamay na balot ng punching pads. Imbes na sumagot ay nagtapon lamang ako ng ilan pang mga suntok sa pads niya. My ponytail swings as my muscles burn.

I hissed and threw harder punches as for whatever reason, Elijah Pierceton started flashing in the back of my eyelids.
Hazel eyes, smirking lips, dark hair, broad shoulders, inked arm.

When I threw my last punch, napaurong si Nacho at napamura siya dahil masakit iyon.
I let out a chuckle.

"Come on, Coach. You're getting softer." I taunted him. Nacho has taught me everything that I know about boxing and fitness. I am not really buff, I don't have visible muscles. Instead, I have slim arms but I can definitely throw a good punch that can knock out a two hundred pound man.

"You are one hell of a good boxer, Attorney." Sabi niya na bahagya ko naman na ikinatawa. I knew I had an anger management problem when I went home after an argument with my father, and I ended up kicking my kitchen trash can so hard that it was disfigured and looked like a crushed soda can.

I knew at that time that I needed somewhere or something to channel that energy. Never to someone. That same night, I called Nacho and told him what happened, thirty minutes later he pulled up at my place and threw a pair of boxing gloves in my lap before he dragged me to his gym, where I had my first boxing lesson.

"Let's take a quick five."

I nodded at him before I started taking off my boxing gloves, I then tossed it on the floor together with his pads. We both stepped off the side of the ring before I took a seat.

I grabbed my hydroflask and started drinking from it to quench my thirst. After that meeting in the Dean's office, I did my best to continue my classes as usual. He didn't return to my class since I had him put in the disciplinary office the whole day.

I had done that to set an example but to also avoid seeing him at least until I got off the campus premises. I need to gather the mental energy to face him again.

"You know, from all the years that I have known you, I have never seen you this bothered. Not even when your father set you up with that bastard Travis." Nachos said after he drank from his water bottle. His white dri-fit shirt and green jersey shorts soaked in sweat.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

Elijah was the first man who left me speechless on the first day we met.

"This boy just gets on my nerves."

"You want me to get you some weed to relax." His tone full of humor.

Napabaling naman ako sa kanya. His almond brown eyes widened. Nacho was a drug dealer.

As in literally.

He was one of my most memorable pro-bono cases. I got him a year after I passed the BAR. He didn't want to be even defended because he was caught with kilos of both Marijuâna and cocaíne, and he was afraid to talk because the drug lord he was working for had connections in the prison.
He didn't think he had the choice until I showed him a plan that I made where he didn't have to get involved with any of the criminals he worked with. I was able to build a case where we only focused on his wrongdoings and his willingness to change his life.

We became friends after I got him out of jail. I helped him pickup his life, he focused his knowledge in drugs into doing good since he became a pharmacist, and now he owns a gym.

"I'm kidding." Sabi pa niya.

"Nacho."

His pointed nose scrunched up. Nacho is half Mexican and half Filipino. And no, his parents didn't name him "Nacho",  it was his street name and he now uses it as a formal nickname.

"I'm done with that life after you defended me." Seryoso naman niyang sagot.

"You are always so serious. Maybe that's why you need that boy." Ngisi niya.

"Nacho, he is nineteen. For god's sake, he is my student."

"Nineteen who is sooo thirsty for a piece of Hottorney." He mockingly used the nickname Elijah used on me. "Maybe this is your time to be a cougar." Pang-aasar pa niya.

"That is not funny." Pinandilatan ko siya.

"You don't find anything funny. Maybe if you start having sèx, you'll learn how to laugh."

I only rolled my eyes at him.

"Like I said, I'm only doing the whole "mentor-him" thing because of the visa and Robinson asked for it as a favor. I'm not gonna engage in anything inappropriate with him. Besides, I am in a relationship." I replied instead.

"Please. I know that you would rather get run over by a car and purposely lose a case than touch Travis with a ten foot pole stick. We both know that he's a piece of shít and that relationship is nothing but publicity."

Hindi ako nakaimik.

I still haven't told him the fact that I found Travis with another woman. Again. Kapag kasi nalaman ni Nacho kung gaano kakati si Travis ay talagang mabubugbog sarado si Travis.

Nacho is right. Travis is a piece of crap, but I still have a reputation to protect.

Instead of saying anything to Nacho, I gave him my signature death look. He raised his hands and chuckled.

"Alright, I'm letting it go."

I sighed softly.

"For now."

Napailing na lamang ako.

*.*.*.*.*.*

After another session of sparring, I quickly hopped into my private shower in his gym. I placed my hands on the tiled walls and let the water rain on my body, I could feel the cold wetness cascading on the ink on my spine.
Napapikit naman ako ng mariin.

I have to get this right. My colleague who I respect a lot counts on me, my reputation is on the line, as well as  the visa I've always wanted.
I just have to get this right with Elijah. Just a year, Kim.

I deal with a lot of criminals, even àssholes in the courtroom. I can do this.

He's just a boy.

After a few more moments, I decided to twist the knob off and stepped out of the shower. I snatched the towel hanging on the wall and wrapped it around my body, hiding away most of the ink on my back.

With my hair dripping wet, my eyes landed on my phone resting on the bathroom counter, just a couple feet away from me.

When I grabbed it, his name popped on the screen.I had already saved his number on my phone after that meeting with the Dean.

Suddenly, my heart is drumming in my chest again.

Elijah: you think i'm your responsibility for a year? think again, hottorney. because you are now mine to play with for a year.

Shít.