117 - Teqosa

The horn sounds again, its discordant, sorrowful call echoing through the jungle. The haunting tone reverberates through the village, drawing the suspicious eyes of the Auilqa villagers to me, Síqalat, and Upachu. The elder had warned that the noise signifies a threat from outsiders. Given the unfortunate timing of our arrival, we suddenly find ourselves unwelcome, cast in the role of potential intruder.

Síqalat is visibly frustrated, shaking her head in disbelief. "We just rescued their village from a great fire, but a horn blasts, and now we're the enemy again?"

"Let's speak to the elders," Upachu suggests, "and see if we can't reason with them."

"The last time we tried that, they still regarded us as a threat," Síqalat reminds him. "It wasn't until we helped extinguish the flames that threatened to consume their entire village that they even considered listening to us. These people can't be reasoned with!"

"But we have to try," I say. "We can't let this devolve into violence."

Though Síqalat looks at me with understandable skepticism, my desire for diplomacy in an otherwise hostile environment feels like the wisest course of action in this circumstance. We must tread carefully to avoid further conflict. These people may distrust us at the moment, but I believe they will listen to reason.

I go to approach the elders gathered in the clearing. Before I can make it two steps, they begin to cower, looking to the villagers to help protect them. A number of villagers stand between us, and I can see that this will not be as straightforward as I had hoped.

"If you will grant me just a moment to speak," I call out to them over the sound of the wailing horn and the anxious shouts of the villagers.

One of the elders—the one painted blue—points at me accusatorially and yells, "You are the invaders seeking to destroy our village!"

"You have got to be kidding me," Síqalat remarks. She turns to me, her eyes blazing and jaw clenched, "This is all complete nonsense! A total waste of time! I told you, they cannot be reasoned with." I understand her frustration, but we must show patience and persistence.

"Wise elder, you are mistaken," I say with great effort to keep my voice calm. "If we wanted to destroy your village, we would have allowed the fire to burn everything it touched. Instead, we worked diligently to save it—something an invader would not be inclined to do. Do you not agree?"

The elder hesitates, then glances at his companions. Another elder, painted yellow, steps forward, one eyebrow raised and lips pressed into a thin line.

"And why should we believe you?" he asks. "How can we be certain that you are not deceiving us?"

"Because we have offered our help instead of hostility," I explain. "Because our actions should speak for themselves. When the fire broke out, we risked our lives to to extinguish it. You witnessed us fighting the flames alongside the villagers. Our intentions are of cooperation."

There's a brief silence while the elders contemplate among themselves. I take a deep breath, encouraging Síqalat to do the same, so that we allow them the necessary time to deliberate. The elder painted blue lowers his hand slightly, giving me hope that they are considering the evidence, rather than being consumed by irrational fears.

Finally, the elder in yellow speaks up. "Very well," he says, almost grudgingly. "But be warned, any deception will be met with severe consequences."

I bow my head respectfully. "Thank you, wise elders. I assure you, we only seek to help and to understand."

Síqalat smacks her thighs and lets out an exasperated sigh. "Great. With that unnecessary confrontation settled, can we get back to finding out why that awful horn is being sounded?"