Cassie

14th of July 2035

Sherman Oaks, CA

There Spencer sat, holding his husband's hand tightly in the hospital suite. Cassie was conscious again with an IV in her arm, sound asleep.

It had been an insane few hours. Earlier that day, their eight-year-old was playing hard on the soccer field, and then at halftime she collapsed.

"Why didn't we do this earlier?" Alistair sighed. "I just thought she was dehydrated..."

In a calming way, Spencer squeezed his shoulder.

"We're here now," he stated, kissing his husband's cheek. "Besides, she's tough."

After a few minutes of silence, Spencer's phone vibrated. He pulled it out of his jean pocket and opened the text.

"It's just my mom," he stated. "She took Claire out for ice cream...she wants to know when we hear anything."

Just then, there was a soft knock at the door.

"Come in," Spencer said.

The doctor entered. He was a tall, dark-haired man with bright green eyes. A sympathetic smile sat upon his face, causing chills to run through Alistair's body.

"Hi," he greeted. "I'm doctor Kaplan...and you're the parents, correct?"

"Did you find out what happened?" Spencer pressed, completely ignoring the question. He gripped his husband's hand tightly in anticipation.

Dr. Kaplan nodded. "I specialize in pediatric endocrinology...and, after full examination of your daughter, it is very clear that she has Type 1 Diabetes."

"What?" Spencer exclaimed. Alistair still didn't say anything. "Are you absolutely--"

"Even though all the symptom's weren't visible, we are positive," The doctor added with a sigh. "But it is manageable. We will be treating her with insulin shortly, and then once she is well enough, you will have a meeting with a diabetes specialist on how to properly care for her."

Spencer looked at his husband. He watched Alistair's shaken expression and swallowed hard. The doctor could definitely sense the shock and tension.

"I'm very sorry," Dr. Kaplan added. "I will give you three some time alone, and we won't start any insulin until your daughter wakes up."

Both parents waited for him to close the door, but as soon as he did, Spencer sat back in the chair and exhaled deeply.

Alistair got up and walked to Cassie's bed. Sitting on the edge, he looked at their sleeping daughter. Running his fingers through her brown locks, he noticed she still had some grass stains on her face.

"I feel so bad." Alistair stated muttered. "She didn't have as much energy...I could tell, but I didn't think--"

"She's fine now, sweetie," Spencer interjected. "Don't blame yourself."

A soft moan escaped Cassie's lips, and the little girl slowly opened her eyes. Spencer got up immediately to join them.

"Papa...?" she muttered, looking up at Alistair. "What happened?"

"You fainted, baby girl," he answered, taking her tiny hand in his. "But you're going to be okay..."

"Did we win?" she asked, suddenly realizing she'd missed the game.

Spencer laughed a bit. "I don't know, Cass," he told her, sitting down as well. "But we're just thrilled you're--"

"No, daddy--" she pressed. "Call grandma and ask if we won!"

Spencer shook his head and pulled out his phone. Although Cassie didn't have his blonde hair, it wasn't difficult to figure out where her genes came from.