Cassie (Part 2)

Please comment if you can...I'm pretty new to fanfic and would love the feedback!

23rd of September 2036

Sherman Oaks, CA

It was the perfect Saturday for a birthday. The weather was 80 degrees and sunny, and there was little wind. After hanging the streamers, Cassie helped her Papa set the picnic tables. The plates and cups had pictures of puppies, even though she never was able to have one due to her sister's allergies.

But this year would be different. As Alistair watched Cassie finish the last table, he couldn't help but smile. This was going to be his baby girl's best bithday.

Just then, the pair heard Spencer and Claire pull up the driveway.

"My cake!" Cassie cheered, dashing through the backyard.

"Cassie!" Alistair called, chasing after her. "No peaking allowed!"

When Cassie reached the Range Rover, they were both already out of the car. Spencer was lifting the trunk to get the cake.

"Dad let me see!" Cassie exclaimed, hugging him from behind.

"Nope," he replied. Spencer turned around and gave his daugther a kiss on the head. "This is going straight into the fridge until dessert."

"But that's too long..." Cassie sighed. She looked up at Spencer sweetly--it would usually make him melt, but he was not going to budge on this one.

"Your party will definitely be a good enough distraction," Alistair added. He walked the few steps to his husband and kissed him on the lips.

"I didn't drop it," Spencer teased, breaking the kiss. It was a reference to last Thanksgiving...but that was an entirely different story.

Alistair grinned and squeezed his shoulder. "C'mon," he said. "I'll hold the door."

6 Hours Later

As Cassie's friends were getting out of the pool and drying off, Spencer was in the living room with Mason. Cassie was best friends with his daugther Sasha, and even though Mason and Jane lived in San Diego, Sasha just didn't want to miss the party. Luckily, they would be sleeping over so they didn't have to drive home that night.

"You know," Mason sighed. "She was already heartbroken about the miscarriage, and now this had to happen? Jane was promised she'd become a partner by now."

"Want me to deck em?" Spencer asked, trying to cheer him up.

Mason rolled his eyes and shook his head. A few seconds later, Spencer's phone vibrated.

"My mom's here," he stated eagerly. "Come on, you have to help me!"

Mason brightened up pretty fast, as he knew what was coming. He and Spencer quickly walked out the front door and across the large driveway.

Spencer opened the gated entrance.

"Why does everyone here have these things?" Mason asked. "I mean, I get it if you're like Brad Pitt or something."

"Not everyone," Spencer replied. "The privacy's pretty nice though."

Truthfully, Spencer and Alistair received a fair amount of press themselves. When he was called up to the majors 16 years ago, and eventually became the first openly-gay player to have children . Now he was a multiple all-star pick and a parent, and for some reason, that was fascinating to people. It's not like it bothered him too much, as it was pretty great to be a role model. It was just sort of...awkward at times.

When they walked out onto the sidewalk, Spencer immediately took notice of his mother's Jeep down the street. They headed that way, and Spencer smiled and waved when he saw her come around the back.

"He is so cute, Spencer!" she exclaimed. Spencer walked the rest of the way towards her and gave her a quick hug.

"Who, Alistair?" he asked. "Yea, he's decent."

She laughed and gave her son a light slap on the shoulder.

"Hey, Mrs. Ports," Mason greeted brightly. They hugged as well, but stopped as soon as a little bark was heard.

Spencer beat his mom to the backseat door. With slight apprehension, he opened it to find the little crate.

"Oh my god," Spencer said, grinning from ear-to-ear. "He's perfect, mom!"

"Let me see!" Mason pressed. Spencer carefully lifted the crate out of the car so they could all get a better look at him.

"He is so cute," Mason stated, his face filled with delight. "What kind of puppy is this?"

"A miniature goldendoodle," Spencer told him. "Alistair and I have been researching for ages...they're supposed to be really good, and he shouldn't bother Claire's allergies."

Mason poked his finger through the crated door, and the puppy sniffed his finger hesitantly.

"Can you hold this actually?" Spencer said to Mason. His friend took the crate and continued to obsess over the puppy. Spencer then pulled out his phone again to call inside the house.

Alistair answered after only two rings.

"Hello?"

"Babe," Spencer told him. "We've got the dog...is anyone else inside?"

"No, no, we're good," his husband replied. "Just come in the front door, not the side. I have a plan."

20 Minutes Later

"Thanks everyone!" Cassie exclaimed after opening her gifts. Seeing as there were no more boxes, Cassie hopped up from her chair and hugged her dads to thank them for the party.

"Now before the party's over, we still have one more surprise," Alistair said, motioning for Cassie to sit back down. The 10-year-old smiled and went back to her seat.

"What is it?" she asked happily, her bright blue eyes wide.

"Just close your eyes, princess," Alistair told her. "And no peeking!"

Spencer ran into the hallway and to the foot of the stairs.

"We're ready, mom!" he called.

There were a few excited whispers from Cassie's friends when they saw her grandma carrying the puppy, but they tried to stay quiet to not spoil the surprise.

"Now keep your eyes closed, and open your hands..." Spencer instructed.

Cassie did so, and as soon as she felt the tiny puppy in her hands, she opened her eyes and gasped.

Within moments, she had tears of happiness running down her cheeks. Claire, along with all of Cassie's friends moved closer to get a better look. Her parents watched the scene together. Alistair brought his arm around Spencer's waist and kissed his cheek. Nothing made them happier than seeing their girls so happy.