A Difficult Conversation

28th of December 2034

Dallas, TX

"Ladies and Gentleman, I'd like to welcome you to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Please remain seated until the fasten seatbelt sign is turned off, and on behalf of Delta Airlines, thank you for flying with us today."

When the sign turned off, Spencer and Alistair got out of their seats to retrive the bags from the overhead bin. The girls, each in a window seat next to one of their parents, were completely distracted by the view of the runway.

"Take your backpack, Cass," Spencer said, setting it on his chair. Unfortunately, Cassie was completely tuned out.

"Cassie," Spencr said louder. "Earth to Miss. Porter-Reid!"

Quickly turning around, Cassie looked at her parents.

"What?" she asked innocently.

"Take your backpack, sweetie," Alistair told her. "People are waiting."

Cassie grabbed the backpack and hopped out of her seat, while Claire took hers as well.

"Lead the charge, Cass," Spencer said. Being the first seat of first class, she literally got to lead the line of people off the plane.

10 Minutes Later

After a quick bathroom stop, they went to Red Robin for lunch during the layover. Their table was on the outside, so the girls were able to watch the travelers walking to the gates.

And then it happened. Right after Alistair kissed Spencer on the cheek, a man walking past yelled out at them.

"Faggots!" he shouted. "Go to hell!"

All the occupied tables took notice, and a few people gasped. Spencer stood up from his chair and watched the man walking away, while Alistair sat frozen.

"Spencer sit down..." Alistair muttered. "Spencer please--"

Very slowly, Spencer sat back down. Cassie and Claire looked scared and confused.

"Why did he say that?" Cassie asked. She looked so shaken, on the verge of tears.

"He--" Alistair began, eyeing his husband. "He just wasn't being nice, sweetie."

At that moment, the waitress came with their food. It was a temporary distraction for the girls, but Spencer was still silently fuming.

Two Hours Later

Now on their way to the Bahamas, it was Claire's turn to sit with Spencer and Cassie's turn to sit with Alistair.

"Papa?" Cassie asked. She moved over to cuddle against his chest.

"Yea?" Alistair replied, squeezing her tightly. He hadn't said much after the incident, as he was still trying to process how that could happen in 2034.

"What does faggot mean?"

Alistair was shocked and struggled to think of a response.

"It's..." he sighed. "It's just a very mean word."

"But what does it mean?" Cassie pressed. She moved back slightly to meet his eyes.

Alistair kissed her forehead and exhaled deeply. Sometimes Cassie was just as persistent as Spencer.

"Cassie..." he began. "Do you remember your class project about Martin Luther King?"

"Yes," she stated, suddenly looking a bit confused.

"You learned about how people were treated badly because of the color of their skin, right?"

Cassie nodded. "They were kicked out of restaurants too."

"That's right," Alistair said. He took her hand and bit his lip.

"You know," he added. "People used to be treated like that for being gay, and that was the word they used."

"But..." Cassie muttered. "That's so mean."

"I know," Alistair stated. He took her hand and kissed it. "And no one has called us that in years..."

Cassie thought for a moment. It was a lot to take in for an 8-year-old, but she was very smart and able to understand.

"Cassie..." Alistair said. "Not everyone is going to be kind, but I promise you that most people are. All you have to do right now is focus on the kindness and learn from those who are unkind."

In response, Cassie nodded slowly. Alistair could tell the conversation was difficult, but he also knew she was better off knowing the truth.

"There are so many good people, princess," Alistair pressed. "You're one of them. I'm so proud of you."

The 8-year-old smiled slightly and cuddled back into her Papa's chest. Alistair held her close, and the pair eventually drifted off to sleep.