Chapter -12

20 Days later

The room was silent except for the soft hum of the air conditioning. She sat at the edge of the bed, staring at the blank wall, lost in the void of her thoughts. From outside, the sounds of light music filtered in, the melodies of celebration and joy seeping through the walls. It was a cruel contrast to the suffocating silence of the room and the emptiness in her heart.

Despite his promise to cancel the wedding, the reality was that the preparations continue . His family insisted that the marriage continues as planned, and he ultimately agreed to their wishes. She could hear the laughter, the chatter, and the jubilant music that marked each ceremony. Each sound was a painful reminder of her place in his life, or rather, her lack of one. She felt like a prisoner in her own life, trapped in a situation that seemed to mock her every hope and dream.

He initially promised her to cancel the wedding, but after a few days of avoiding the subject, he finally admitted that his family would never allow it.

The marriage wasn't just a personal decision; it was about family honor and commitments. The engagement had been publicly announced and backed by influential families, making it impossible to back out without causing a scandal that would damage the family's reputation and hurt important business deals. For him, sticking to this commitment wasn't just a personal choice but a responsibility.

She felt relief and sadness. She heard his fight with his family as he begged them to cancel the wedding, and she was glad to see him finally accepting the situation, even if it meant facing her own heartbreak.

And as he had promised, she stayed with him in the same room, even though he was on the brink of marrying someone else. Despite knowing about the other woman and the marriage, she understood that he wouldn't let her go while danger still surrounded her. and she knew that, for now, staying close was the safest choice for both of them.

As the days progressed, he got busy in ceremonies of his marriage. The rituals, the endless rounds of family gatherings, consumed his time. His days grew busier. Each passing hour drew him further away from her. The time he spent with her added to almost nothing. When he did come back in the silent room, he was a ghost of the man she knew, preoccupied, tired and distant.

The ceremonies were a reminder that she was nothing more than a shadow in his life, destined to be left behind as he moved forward into a future that no longer included her.
________________________

She remembered the night when he came to her, his eyes filled with tears. He had returned late, the tiredness of the day evident in his down face. But it was the look in his eyes that caught her off guard- sorrow, guilt, and desperation.

He had closed the door behind him and stood there for a moment, as if gathering the courage to speak. Finally, he looked at her, his voice breaking as he spoke.

"I tried, I really did," he began, his eyes filled with unshed tears. "But I can't cancel the marriage. My family... they won't let me. They say it's too late, that it would bring shame on everyone."

She felt her heart drop, the reality of his words settling. She remained silent, her throat too tight to respond.

He took a step closer, his voice barely above a whisper.

"But there's still a way for us. We can leave, right now. We can run away, somewhere far from here. I don't care about anything else, as long as we're together. You'll be safe, and we can be happy."

Her mind raced with suggestion of his words. The idea of running away & leaving everything behind was tempting, a glimmer of hope. But reality quickly crashed in, She shook her head slowly, her voice trembling as she spoke.

"We can't. You know we can't. Your family... the bride &her family... they would never forgive us. And what kind of life would we have, always looking over our shoulders, always running? We'd never truly be free."

Tears streamed down his face, and he reached out to her, his hands trembling. "Please, just think about it. We could start over, make a new life somewhere. I can't lose you. I don't want to lose you."

Her heart ached at his desperation and pain, but she knew she had to be strong for both of them. She took his hands in hers, her grip firm despite the tears that blurred her eyes. "I love you," she said softly, "but running away isn't the answer. We can't build a life on the ruins of everything we leave behind. You have responsibilities, and so do I."

He shook his head, his tears finally spilling over. "I don't know how to let you go," he confessed. "I don't know how to live without you."

Her heart broke at his words, but she forced herself to remain calm. "You have to let me go," she said, her voice steady. "You have to let me go from your life. It's the only way for both of us to find any peace."

She knew she had made the right decision, but it didn't make the pain any easier to bear.And so, as the days turned into weeks and the wedding preparations continued, she found herself haunted by that evening, and the future they would never have.

Do you guys like melodrama or not🥲

Please vote🙏 would love your support.