9.

The next day, Winter received another urgent call from work. Once again, they needed him to come in to meet the required adult-to-child ratio. Reluctantly, he left Autumn and Harlow at home, promising to return as soon as he could. Autumn was feeling more settled than the day before but still a bit fragile. She focused on caring for Harlow, keeping her close and attending to her every need. As she rocked Harlow to sleep, she heard a knock on the door. She opened it to find Reece standing there, a warm smile on his face.

 "Hey, Autumn. Winter told me he had to go into work again, so I thought I'd come over and keep you company."

Autumn's face lit up with a grateful smile. "Thanks, Reece. Come in. It's been a bit lonely with Winter gone."

Reece stepped inside, taking in the cozy atmosphere of their home. His eyes softened as he saw Harlow sleeping peacefully in her bassinet. "She's beautiful, Autumn. You and Winter are so lucky."

Autumn's smile widened as she glanced at her daughter. "We really are. She's been such a blessing."

Reece's gaze lingered on Harlow, a pang of longing in his heart. He had always wanted a child of his own, to experience the joys and challenges of parenthood. Watching Autumn with Harlow made that desire even stronger.

"How have you been holding up?" Reece asked, turning his attention back to Autumn.Autumn shrugged slightly. "It's been tough, especially with Winter having to go back to work. But we're managing. I'm just glad to have you here."

Reece sat down on the couch, patting the spot next to him. "Come sit. Tell me how you've really been."

Autumn joined him, feeling a mix of emotions. "Honestly, it's been a rollercoaster. I've had some really hard moments, but I'm trying to stay strong for Harlow and Winter."

Reece nodded, his expression understanding. "I can't imagine how tough it's been, but you're doing an amazing job. And you're not alone. You've got Winter, and you've got me and Marjorie too."

Autumn looked at him, her eyes glistening with gratitude. "Thank you, Reece. It means a lot to have your support."

Reece reached out and gently squeezed her hand. "Always. We're family."

They sat together, talking and sharing stories. Reece held Harlow when she woke up, marveling at her tiny fingers and toes. He couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to have a child of his own, to experience the love and connection that Autumn and Winter had with Harlow.As the afternoon turned into evening, Reece helped Autumn with dinner and stayed until Winter came home. When Winter walked through the door, he was greeted by the sight of Reece cradling Harlow, and Autumn laughing at something Reece had said.Winter smiled, feeling a sense of relief and gratitude. 

"Hey, you two. Looks like you've had a good day."

Autumn stood up and walked over to Winter, giving him a hug. "Reece has been a lifesaver. It was really nice having him here."

Reece handed Harlow back to Autumn and stood up. "I'm glad I could help. I should get going, but I'll see you both soon."