21.

As they lay together, the room quiet except for the gentle hum of the hospital's machinery, Autumn felt herself slowly calming down. The fear and anxiety that had gripped her began to loosen its hold, replaced by the warmth of Winter's embrace. His steady breathing and comforting presence were the anchor she desperately needed.

Autumn closed her eyes, focusing on the rise and fall of his chest beneath her. The world outside seemed distant and unimportant compared to the safety she felt in his arms. But even as she began to relax, the lingering ache in her heart remained—a reminder of the overwhelming emotions she was still grappling with.

"Winter," she whispered, her voice still trembling, "I don't know how to do this. I don't know how to be strong enough for all of this."

Winter tightened his hold on her, his voice soft and reassuring. "You don't have to be strong all the time, Autumn. It's okay to feel scared, to need help. We're in this together, remember? You don't have to carry everything on your own."

Autumn nodded against his chest, but the weight of everything still pressed down on her. "I just... I feel like I'm failing. I wasn't ready for this, and now... now Mayella is sick, and it's all my fault. What if I can't protect her? What if something happens to her?"

Winter gently lifted her chin so she could meet his gaze, his eyes filled with love and understanding. "You're not failing, Autumn. You're doing everything you can, and that's enough. Mayella's going to be okay. She's strong, just like her mom."

Autumn's eyes filled with tears again, but this time they were different—softer, a mix of relief and the deep love she felt for him. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Winter," she said, her voice breaking. "You're the only thing holding me together right now."

Winter leaned down, pressing a tender kiss to her lips, pouring all the love and reassurance he could into that moment. 

"And I always will be," he whispered against her lips. "We're a team, Autumn. Whatever comes our way, we'll face it together."

Autumn kissed him back, her grip on him tightening as she let herself lean into his strength. The fear was still there, but with Winter beside her, it felt a little more manageable. She knew she wasn't alone in this—no matter how dark things seemed, he would be there to hold her up."I'm so scared, Winter," she admitted, her voice barely a whisper.

"I know," he replied softly, pulling her closer. "But you're not alone. We'll get through this, I promise."

As they lay together, the weight of the world pressing down on them, Autumn allowed herself to believe in that promise. With Winter by her side, she felt like maybe, just maybe, they could find their way through the darkness together. A couple of days passed with Autumn still in the hospital. The days were a blur of constant nausea and weakness. She could barely keep anything down, and every time she tried, it came right back up. The strain was taking a toll on her body, and Winter watched helplessly as she grew paler and weaker.

The nurses came and went, checking her vitals and trying to keep her hydrated, but Autumn's condition only seemed to worsen. Her skin became dry, her lips cracked, and her energy drained away until she could barely lift her head from the pillow. The dehydration was severe, and despite the IV fluids, it wasn't enough to combat how depleted she had become.One morning, as Winter sat by her side, Autumn attempted to sit up but was overcome with a wave of dizziness. Her vision blurred, and before she could even call out to Winter, everything went black.