Part Four- Influential Enemies

Charity didn't know how to weave. She didn't cry very often. She didn't like to speak loudly. But here she was, in a foreign land, possessing a job that included weaving her own blue mourning clothes and crying and wailing loudly for complete strangers. Some of these girls had been doing this for their entire lives! One of the older mourners had come and tried to help Charity learn the business. But she didn't come to see "Charity". She came to see "Zahra". No Egyptian girl would be named Charity or Yoorana. So Charity had been asked to choose an Egyptian name by Gracina. The older mourner gave Charity the oddest advice the Aboriginal princess had ever heard: "Think of sad things to make you cry. Wail from the middle of your throat. If you fall to your knees as if in grief, people will take you more seriously." Charity was taken aback. These people were in the business of sadness. Egypt was crazy! As the older mourner got up from her seat beside Charity, a man walked in the door. The man was unknown to Charity, but certainly not to the head mourner. "High Priest Chike! Honored One, how may we serve you?" The priest was rather wider than most Egyptians, but it was more likely from muscle. Charity might have considered him handsome, had he not looked around the room with such bad intent in his face. "Riziyah, I have come to hire you and your girls to mourn for a very important lady. She isn't dead yet, but she is probably going to be within a week or so. I want your very best work, so begin practicing now." Riziyah bowed low, and Chike left. The mourners became very excited at the prospect of a job at a highborn lady's funeral. They took their order to practice seriously. But something in Charity's brain had clicked when Chike said that the woman was not dead yet. What if he was planning to kill Gracina?
------------------------
Lunden and Averia were more than a little scared, serving as priestesses for a religion they did not know. Besides, this temple was creepy. At least, when you didn't know what was going on. If you were an outsider, you might believe that this place was one of power and truth. But it was a place of liars. As soon as Lunden and Averia had asked to join the staff, they had been accepted, initiated, and led to a room where two other priestesses stayed. The Order of Sekhmet was apparently in need of new members, because of "the needs of the people." Averia and Lunden took that to mean "there are more people believing our lies and we need more people to control them." Maybe they were right. All day the girls did almost nothing but process the sacrifices given to them. A sheep to be killed, a necklace to help in temple needs, a length of white cloth for a priestly garment. Averia dedicated herself to worm whatever information she could out of the temple residents, and Lunden focused her energy on learning the customs of Egypt. Might as well try to fit in while she was here.
---------------------------
"Sarah, please try this necklace on. You are supposed to be a royal maidservant. And Myah, here's one for you!" Sarah had no clue how to be a real Egyptian maid, so Gracina had asked some of her other maids to do their hair and makeup. But nothing could stop her from making sure that her friends were feeling ready for the party tonight. And at long last, they were. Glittering jewels were everywhere at the party, as were the finest of robes. But all eyes were on Gracina and her two friends when they entered. The Princess was wearing an elaborate gold dress with red details and a sheer cloak. On her head was a royal headpiece in the shape of wings, curving over her head. Myah was dressed in pale green and pink, swathed in many layers of the sheer fabric so the different colors moved as she walked. Sarah, though her dress was that of a servant, glowed both with her jeweled necklace and with her face. Sitting on a raised dais, the Queen at his side, was the Pharoah, Gracina's father. She bowed low before him. "I have come, Pharoah. May you be blessed by the gods." Gracina felt like a liar saying that last part. It was hard being Egyptian royalty and not believing all the gibberish about the gods. Pharoah, however, did not know of Gracina's conflict, and hopefully did not suspect. He nodded, and she was free to take her place on one of the couches around the room. Myah sat beside her, Sarah stood behind her, and the room resumed its normal volume. But many people still stole glances at Gracina. The party was soon in full swing, with Myah, Sarah, and other guests giving a great time. Gracina, however, was waiting for someone. Amet had yet to arrive. Instead, the two worst people that could have come to the banquet walked through the door: Chike and Aapep. They paid homage to the Pharoah before Chike asked to speak before the guests. "Dear people, through the power of Anubis, Sehkmet, and Ra, we have found a traitor in our midst!.." The room gasped, and Gracina closed her eyes. No. No,no,no. "The traitor was none other than Amet, one of our beloved Gracina's guard!" It was all Gracina could do to put a look of mock horror and surprise on her face. The priests seemed content with the crowd's reaction, but she could see them glancing at her. They had to know. There was no other explanation. One look at Myah and Sarah told Gracia that they were thinking the same thing. Sarah left the party early. The hours seemed to be years. At last it was over, and Gracina and Myah headed to Gracina's room. There they found Sarah, with something gripped in her hand. Without a word, she handed it to Gracina. It was a red gem, as large as Gracina's palm. Her hand flew to her heart as she saw the words roughly scratched on its surface: "Gracina, I'm not good with words. I love you. -Amet" Gracina tried not to cry. Amet was in jail for his faith, and for hers. She was sure of only two things now. First, that she needed her friends now more than ever, because of the second thing: she had some very, very influential enemies.

Royals Through Time 4: The EgyptiansOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara