Part Six- Fit for a Queen

Gracina had made up her mind to try and smooth things over with the priests and the people. Tonight she would speak before them, reassure them that she was loyal to Egypt. For the occasion, Gracina needed to look the part of the perfect Egyptian princess. She had her friends for that. The dress was white, as usual, and the necklace was classical turquoise and gold. A headpiece circled Gracina's forehead and arched into the royal cobra, with gold and turquoise beading along the sides. A little red, too. She was ready. On the outside, at least. Something was bothering her, though: if lying was bad, why was she so willing to do it? Not even to protect her people, but to protect herself? She walked with her friends to the front steps of the palace, where she would speak to her people. They were nervous, too. Amet was positioned at the imposing doorway to the stairs. He looked at Gracina and reached for her hand, brushing it for a moment as she passed. As soon as she crossed the palace threshold, Gracina could see what exactly she was facing. Thousands of people waited below, with priests, guards, and villagers alike. They of course, did not know her enough to sense her fear. But the six Royals and Amet could tell that she was afraid. Very afraid. But she hid it well, and when she spoke, her voice was strong. "My people, you have heard the rumors of a traitor in the Royal House of Egypt. You have heard that I have turned my back on the gods of our people. I want to assure you that there is no traitor. I have spoken to the accused, and I trust him..." Amet smiled, and Gracina took a deep breath. Sarah figured out what was happening before the words left Gracina's mouth: "...But the second rumor...the second rumor is truth." The people gasped, and a frenzied muttering spread through the crowd as Gracina continued. "I follow the God of the Hebrews, the God that led them from slavery. I believe that He is the only God, and I ask that you believe in Him also!..." Now the crowd was becoming angry. Chike and Aapep were looking a little more smug than Gracina's friends would have liked. Amet was no longer smiling. "...You know I tell you the truth. Please, look at the proof! I beg you!" Amet looked at the Royals. They all looked at him, and one single thought translated into many actions. As Chike and Aapep began to speak to the crowd, Amet grabbed Gracina's hand. She looked at him, and understanding passed between them. It was time to go. Gracina may gave planted a seed of truth, but she could not stay to watch it grow. They had to leave Egypt. Now. The Royals walked close to Gracina, yet Amet walked closer. His eyes darted around, hand on his short sword. The others were almost as alert. Except Sarah. Sure, she was watching, and she would have killed anyone who tried to harm Gracina or any of her friends. But she was thinking: If she had to choose between belief and country, like Gracina did, what would she pick? One thing was for sure, though: Gracina had made her choice. She had stood up for what she believed in.

And that was an act fit for a Queen.