Chapter 4: I need Clarity

She stood out

from the crowd

because

she didn't make a sound.

We stand there in silence for a moment, staring at each other, taking in every detail. To describe the sweet sensation that make my cheeks flush and my tongue dance behind my teeth, I would say its a sudden and almost shocking gust of soothing wind. Yes, she is a soft breeze that blesses my skin in the summer heat. Even in the silence, we both look at each other, gaze into our eyes as if they were windows to outer space, and we understand.

Her voice was

hushed,

yet when heard,

it was heavenly.

"Um... I'm sorry. For causing trouble I mean. It uh, made perfect sense when I did it, really." She smiles an inauthentic smile and nervously chuckles. But as she speaks, I know her apology is sincere. Her voice is beautiful. For a girl, it's noticeably low, but it's high enough to not be masculine. It's soft, but there's an edge to it. Something that makes it so unique. It ensures that not matter what she is saying, she is heard. You just can't ignore her. She has an aura of dominance that covers her like a cloak. But it's still soft and kind. Whatever it is, it is so pleasant. I want to hear her speak even more.

"Um, no problem. It's behind us."

"Awesome... So uh, we ought to get back yea?"

"Yea, I guess." We stand still for a while, waiting for the other to go first. Seeing that this is getting us nowhere, Jolie leaves first, while I quickly follow behind.

"So Katrina, that's a cool name. Do you have a nickname?"

"Well my Grandma called me Kit Kat."

"Called?" I pause in my steps and take a deep breath. Just relax Kit Kat.

" Yes, called,"And I walk in front on my own. She jogs to catch up.

"I'm sorry." she says.

"Don't worry about it." we walk slowly, in silence.

"How about I call you Kat?"

"Cool, whatever."

"..."

"..." There's a screeching loud silence that thickens with every step. I have so many questions, but I'm not sure if I should ask. Would it be rude?

"You look like you have something on your mind. Penny for your thoughts?" Am I that transparent? Geez!

"Well um, do you really... you know, take that stuff?"

What lovely lips

such a voice

escaped from,

what a beautiful

neck it crawled through,

what a lively

chest

it grew from.

"What? Coke? Haha. I used to, back in the good ol' days. But I had to get a new start you know? So now I'm clean and I'm in this school." She shrugs. It seems like an achievement, but she says it so nonchalantly, I'm not convinced that she cares. One thing is for sure, she has a story. I wonder if she would ever tell it to me.