Just Need to Believe

Dallon's POV

"And where is it exactly that we are going Mr. Freakishly Tall?" Merideth says as we exit Happy Cakes Bakery.

"Oh, but Ms. Bakery Free Coffee, that would ruin the surprise now wouldn't it?" I say and adjust the grip on my bass.

She laughs with a shake of her head, "Well because you mentioned that you could be an axe murder earlier this week I have reason to believe you're talking me to an abandoned warehouse and there is no bass in that case. Instead there's a hundred different axes to chose from. Different sizes and colors. If I have any say in this I say you use a black one, that was the axe matches my soul."

"I hate to inform you, but unfortunately you have no say and the axe will not be black. Maybe pink? Or white so your blood really stand out. Don't know. We really shouldn't be talking about this so loud in public though someone might actually believe I plan on killing you."

We're laughing and everything seems okay until someone is yelling my name at the top of their lungs.

And then the black vans appear with people jumping out with their giant cameras and bright flashes.

"Um...what exactly is happening?"

"Just run," I say grabbing her hand.

I've never had a problem with the paparazzi, was never really in a bad popular enough to have paparazzi. And I'm sure running wasn't the brightest idea, especially because I have a bass in my hand and it's definitely not easy running with it. But also because that could definitely lead to bad publicity.

And then everything right in my life could go down hill.

But I'm with Mer, and I really didn't want to deal with that with her.

Once we're a few blocks down and out of breath a pull her around a corner and lean against the wall.

"Okay...what the hell?" She says in between breaths.

"It was just, magazine people and I don't want to deal with it," I say wiping sweat from my forehead.

"Don't want to deal with it now? Or ever? Cause I don't want to be running every time you see a camera."

"Merideth, it's not like that."

"So tell me. What's it like?"

"You're kidding me right? Do you not understand at all? Everyone knows I'm in a - was - in a relationship with Kelsey. They don't know I'm not with her. And being seen with you is just bad bad bad bad. All the headlines with say 'Dallon Weekes: a cheater' and some bullshit like that."

"So you can't be seen with me?"

"No it's, fuck, okay. Not now, no. At the moment I can't be seen with you. Not until I clear everything up with, with everyone."

"So don't be seen with me," she says and starts walking away.

"Merideth! It's not that I don't want to be seen with you I just can't."

"Well when you fix that you can let me now," she says, but keeps walking.

What just happened? She's walking away over something I can't control. She's walking away because I can't handle the questions right now. She's walking away because I can't stand the thought of being humiliated once people find out I proposed and got shot down. She's walking away because she doesn't understand.

But how would she? She's not famous, she's never had to worry about people talking pictures of her simply walking down the street.

I can't walk back, any of the ways I walk will surely get me caught, just as standing here for any longer will.

I could call Spencer, but he left town after the studio so that's no help. So I find myself dialing Brendon's number as I walk up the street creating a larger distance between myself and the cameras.

"Hey man! What's up?" He says after answering.

"Hey so I was with a friend and there was a bunch of people and cameras so we ran and then said friend left and basically I have no way to get home. Do you think you can come pick me up?"

"Yeah sure were are you at?"

"4th and F street I believe."

"Okay I'll be there soon. Hang tight and don't die," he laughs and hangs up.

I can try but there's no promises

A few minutes pass by until I see Brendon's car down the street. I stand up and grab my bass that I had leaning up against the brick wall to probably a bar.

"Hey you need a ride," Brendon jokes. He winks his eye for affect and I roll my eyes.

"Nice to know I have a groupie. All the girls are gonna be jealous because Brendon Urie is my groupie," I say sliding my bass into the back seat and then joining Brendon in the front as I slide into the passenger seat.

"I think Sarah is going to be the most jealous when she finds out about our secret love. Where am I dropping you off?"

"Um...anywhere I guess. My apartment, the studio, whatever it's all the same."

"Are you, ya know, okay? I heard about last night and staying in that apartment obviously can't be easy. You can stay at my place? Sarah won't mind and we have an extra room, and since we don't have to be in the studio tomorrow because Spence is out of town we can look for an apartment for you?"

"Sure, yeah. That'd be cool I guess."

"But are you okay?"

"I wish people would stop asking me that, we all know there's people with cancer, not enough food or water, the inability to have a kid, tumors, blind or deaf, there are people who are dying. They're not okay. So yes, if it really does matter, yes I am okay. Stop asking."

"That's not- I wasn't implying that you weren't okay I just. Dallon, I'm worried about you. We all are actually. It's just nice to be reassured that you're okay. I mean you say you're okay anyway. I don't believe it and if I'm honest, I don't think you ever will be. Not fully okay. I just need to know that you're okay. Because you saying it, lie or not, makes me feel just a little bit better."

"Why would you need to feel any better? You have it all figured out. You have a wife, a beautiful one at that, with a house and dogs. You're happy."

"It's exactly that. I'm happy and Spencer is happy. And you're not, not exactly. So we're just living it up and you don't even want to stay in your own apartment, because you're not okay."

There's a fine line between okay and not okay. Maybe I'm not okay, but I like to think that I had been pretty close to okay today. I also like to think that I'm okay. Because then, if I tell myself and others that I'm okay they might believe me and I'll believe myself.

I just need to believe that I truly am okay.

Hello,
So basically the entire last part with Brendon and all I was singing I'm Not Okay by My Chemical Romance in my head and basically that's my life.

But yes that was Chapter 10 I believe and I think it's okay. Oh and this story got 1K reads and that's unbelievable considering I don't believe this story is all that good, but clearly some people like it and I'll keep going for them
¯\_()_/¯

Hope you enjoyed this chapter,
Xoxo,
S