Chapter 3

Melody's POV

"You okay?" Mrs. Hastings asks concerned. I nod and grab my phone as it begins to vibrate in my pocket.

"MELLIEEEE!!!" Violett screams through the phone making me cringe and pull the phone away from my ear.

"Hey Vi, whats up?" I ask softly.

"Gurrrll whats wrong? You sound like a puppy just died?" She says sassily. I get up and excuse myself outside and sit on one of the chairs on the back porch.

"Ughhh everything! You know how my mom went to Europe for a business thing?" I ask running my hand through my hair.

"Yeah..." She says curious.

"Well now Im staying at the Hastings house for the month and its just so overwhelming and stressful" I groan, covering my face.

"Wait... Hastings as in Asher Hastings?" She says shocked.

"Mhmm..." I hum, looking out at the ocean.

"Dude... Im sorry. Do you want me and Colton to come and distract you from the little shit?" She asks making me smile.

"Ya that sounds good," I agree, standing up and walking back inside to find a plate of pancakes at my seat. I mouth a "thank you" to Mrs. Hastings as she smiles back.

"Alright I'll call Colton, Im on my way girl!" She yells and hangs up.

"Is it alright if my friends Violett and Colton come over?" I ask curiously, taking a bite of my pancakes.

"Yes but out of curiosity... Is Colton a boy or?" She asks quietly. I smile and shake my head.

"No, Colton is a girl. Her mom is a nurse at the hospital Mr. Hastings works at..." I nod, continuing to eat my pancakes.

"Oh! Right I've seen her before at school... very pretty girl." She nods as she washes the dishes.

"Mommy Im done!" Everly says standing up on her stool. I look up and see syrup all over her hands and face making me laugh.

"Oh honey! You got syrup all over your face!" She sighs.

"I got her," Asher says quickly, sliding his plate out for his mom. "Come here you lil squirt!" He laughs picking up Everly and going upstairs to clean her up.

As I finish my food the doorbell rings making me jump slightly.

"I'll get it," I say quietly, handing Mrs. Hastings my plate.

"Thank you Melody!" She shouts as I walk down the hallway.

I open the door and come face to face with two guys. The guy to left smiles at me and runs a hand through his black hair winking at me making me cringe.

"Melody?" The other guy says curiously. I look to him and my eyes widen in surprise.

"Patrick?" I say in disbelief.

"You know her?"  The other guys asks with a curious glance.

"Yeah we went to the same middle school," He replies, making me internally roll my eyes.

"Well Im gonna go but you guys can come in..." I say awkwardly before moving out of the way and closing the door behind them.

"How have you been?" Patrick says turning back to me.

"I don't know..." I shrug looking down at my shoes.

"Oh... well this is Mike by the way," He says pointing to Mike behind him.

"Hey beautiful," He winks, giving me a small wave.

I nod softly before walking past the two and into the kitchen.