Chapter 4

Melody's POV

My eyes shoot open at the sound of my door being opened. I quickly sit up to see Asher staring at me unfazed.

"Wake up. Breakfast is ready," He snaps before turning and walking down the hallway. I frown at his attitude but get out of bed anyways.

I go over to the pile of clothes and grab a pair of black leggings, a maroon colored sweatshirt, and my brown boots.

Jogging down the stairs I slowly walk into the kitchen to see Everly and Asher already eating while Mrs. Hastings continues to cook.

"Morning Melody! Take a seat, I made waffles this morning," She smiles and I make my way over to the only available seat which just happens to be next to Asher.

I slowly sit next to him and look over my food options. I grab the bowl of strawberries and raspberries and fill a small section of my plate.

I put them back and begin to quietly eat my berries. I look up to see all three of them staring at me.

"What?" I ask as I finish swallowing my food.

"You sure you don't want a waffle or something?" Mrs. Hastings asks with a raised brow.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'm not usually hungry in the mornings," I shrug and continue to eat my fruit.

"Sure..." Asher scoffs quietly while stuffing his mouth with a waffle.

I mentally cringe at the sight and turn back to my plate.

"What's that suppose to mean?"  I ask quietly while pushing the strawberries around on my plate.

"It can mean whatever you want," He sighs before chugging down his water.

I frown slightly, wondering what he means by that when a loud crash breaks my thoughts. The sound of glass shattering pierces through the air as I flinch and grab the counter to stabilize myself.

"Oh Everly are you okay?!" Mrs. Hastings asks frantically as Everly sits on her chair with her lip quivering.

She nods slowly as Mrs. Hastings looks her over.

"I'm sorry Mommy," She whimpers as a tear falls down her cheek.

"Oh its okay hunny, we'll clean it up. You go upstairs and get changed and I'll be up in a minute to help you pack," She says placing her by the stairs before walking down the hallway.

I watch intently as Asher sighs and gets off his stool to begin cleaning up. He picks up the bigger pieces  of glass and throws them away before grabbing the sweeper and pan.

"Shit!" He yells and hops on one foot.

"Are you okay?" I ask cautiously as I get off the stool and walk towards him.

"I'm fine. Just stepped on a piece of glass," He huffs and sits on the stool. I watch as he lifts his foot to see a piece of glass lodge into the bottom of his foot.

"Damn," He sighs and grabs a paper towel to wipe the blood off.

"Here," I say and grab a towel. I walk over to the sink and wet it slightly before walking back over to Asher and handing it to him.

He looks at me curiously but grabs it anyways and gingerly dabs at his foot. I stand there silently watching as he continues to wipe the blood.

"Ahh fuck!" He yells as he tries to take the glass out.

I sigh and step forward, moving his hands away. I quickly examine the glass before gripping it gently with my slender fingers.

"Ready?" I ask him as he watches with a frown.