Chapter 1

Melody's POV [outfit^]

"Mom! No way in hell am I staying with him!" I walk around the island and grab a bottle of water hoping that will cease the fire inside me.

"Honey please.... We are not discussing this anymore. I leave tomorrow morning and you will stay with the Hastings while I'm away. And that is final." She gives me a stern look before going into her office.

"No! There has to be someone else I can stay with!" I follow her into her office and slump into the chair across her desk.

"I already discussed this with Mrs. Hastings. I'm not changing the plan now." She looks up from her laptop to give me her famous "stop whining" look before going back to her emails.

"You don't understand mom! That thing has completely terrorized my life since..." I stop and look at the beige carpet. Not the tears. I haven't cried since he left, and I'm not going to start now.

"Melody..." Her voice soft, "I know we've been having a rough time. But, I need to go on this trip. You know that right?" She moves around her desk and gently pulls me up so she can sit. I sit down on her lap and rest my head on her shoulder. "Baby I know. It's been hard. Really hard as a matter of fact but this opportunity can really help us out financially. We need this chance honey." She smooths my hair gently as I sigh and nod.

My mom could be considered my best friend, maybe even my sister. She had me when she was 19. Fresh out of high school and barely scraping by as a college student. She did it though! Majored in business and is now one of the CEO's of a company that manufactures parts for big name recording studios. Hence my name, Melody. My mom, LeAnn James, was originally going to be a "rockstar" but had second thoughts when she found out she was pregnant.

"Now, go get the rest of your things packed." She pushes me gently and rubs my shoulder.

"Night mom, I love you..." I turn and give her a big hug.

She kisses my head and rubs my back, "I love you too my Melody."

I walk out of her office and up the stairs to my room.
***
I finish packing my things from last night and zip up my suitcase, then take my bags downstairs. As I wait for my mom to finish up her emails, I shove my headphones into my ears and drown out the rest of the world.

~

(Bridges - Broods)

Gave you a minute
When you needed an hour
Chose to push it aside
Instead of leaving behind you
If any word that I said
Could have made you forget
I'd have given you them all
But it was all in your head

Now we're burning all the bridges now
Watching it go up in flames
No way to build it up again
And we're burning all the bridges now
'Cause it was sink or swim
And I went down, down, down

And we're burning all the bridges
Burning all the bridges now
And we're burning all the bridges
Burning all the bridges now

If I didn't hit it
Would you still say you needed me
Guess I walked right into it
Guess I made it too easy
If any word that you said
Could have made me forget
Would I get up off the floor
'Cause this is all in my head

And we're burning all the bridges now
Watching it go up in flames
No way to build it up again

And we're burning all the bridges
Burning all the bridges now
And we're burning all the bridges
Burning all the bridges now