Imperfect Pancakes

"Eden!"

I groaned, hearing high pitched shouts and light footsteps padding towards my room on the hardwood floor. I squeezed my eyes shut, just praying that what usually happens won't occur this time.

"Eden!"

But it was no use. The twins came barreling in to my room, a tornado of bed hair and giggles, jumping up on to my bed. It didn't stop there, however, as they continued to jump up and down, shaking my bed while chanting:

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

"Alright, alright, I'm up," I grumbled. I huffed out a breath as their squeals filled the room once again. I stretched my stiff limbs as I threw the covers back, walking towards my bedroom door as I wiped the sleep from my eyes. "C'mon so we can brush your teeth before breakfast."

Everything after that was simply a routine. I helped the girls brush their teeth, seeing to it that Zach brushed his as well before I took a brush to their unruly bed hair. After I finished freshening up along with them, I walked downstairs towards the kitchen to then prepare some breakfast for all six of us.

"Alright girls, are you ready for this?"

I held the pan in my hands, the pancake batter pooling in the middle as their eyes widened. They were waiting to see my big move. With an expert flick of the wrist, I flipped the pancake in to the air as it landed on the pan with a loud sizzle. I could hear their clapping and laughter as I continued to prepare breakfast, having some empty stomachs to feed.

"Eden, I like when you babysit," Melany's voice broke the silence, a smile on her cute little face. "You're a lot more fun than Mommy and Daddy."

Needless to say, my heart broke just a little at what was supposed to be a compliment from my little sister. I never knew that I would take on the caretaker role in their lives, never knew that my parents would be so busy with their jobs and each other that they'd hardly have time for their children. Zach, Gemma, and Melany were never going to get the parents that Haley, Michael, and I were so lucky to have.

Instead of voicing my thoughts, I smiled at her, walking away from breakfast for just long enough to place a kiss on her little nose.

"I like babysitting my little monkeys," I smiled, leaning over to place a kiss on Gemma's nose as well.

"You're so cute," a voice mused from the kitchen doorway. I jumped at the unexpected voice, my eyes meeting a familiar pair of brown ones... a pair of eyes I wasn't expecting to see in my house this early in the morning.

"Hunter." I ran a hand through my hair, attempting to tame the locks out of habit, then proceeded to cross my arms over my chest, seeing as I lacked a bra and I was still in my pajamas. "How'd you get in here?"

"I let him in," Michael spoke as he walked through the door past Hunter, immediately beginning to look through the fridge. I could feel my lips already beginning to furl in to a frown, but I suppressed it as best as I could, instead attempting to smile.