Return - Exchange

"E-Eden?"

I stopped my movements, the pancake sitting on the spatula in my hand as I furrowed my brows. I definitely wasn't expecting to hear her voice, not for a really long time.

"Haley? Why are you calling the house phone?" I asked her, flipping the pancake in to the pan before removing the phone from where it sat between my shoulder and my ear, looking at the number.

Blocked.

That's strange.

"Eden, please, you h-have to help me," she stuttered, her voice shaking terribly. I could hear her sniffles through the phone, indicating that she's been crying, which left me genuinely confused.

Has something happened between her and Cameron?

I quickly shook my head at the thought, continuing to make breakfast. "Can't you get someone else to help you? Just go get mom, I'm kind of busy at the moment."

I almost pressed the end call button when I heard my sister shout. "No!"

"Fine, Haley, then stop being lazy and come downstairs to the kitchen; there really was no need to call the house for this," I snapped at her, my anger suddenly getting the best of me. I had to refrain from rolling my eyes at Haley's sudden shift in attitude.

I was supposed to come to her rescue even though she insulted me? Of course that's what she expected, yet here I am going along with what she wants.

How pathetic.

I was expecting to hear a smart reply from Haley, but instead I heard something different. A deep laugh sounded through the phone causing an unnatural shiver to course through my body, alarming me.

What the hell was that?

"You thought you could fool me?" His voice flowed through the phone, my body freezing all over at his words. "You really thought that I wouldn't find out about your disappearance?"

It didn't make sense to me, how one moment I was speaking with Haley and the next Riker was suddenly on the phone; unless...

It was as if my body were acting on its own as I bolted out of the kitchen, running up the stairs to what used to be my old bedroom. I threw the door open without wasting another moment and was met with just what I feared:

An empty room.

Haley was nowhere to be seen.

"What did you do?" I whispered, raking a hand through my hair. My body was now on overdrive as I had to try my best to calm myself down. The deep setting fear that I tried so hard to suppress began to resurface at an alarming rate, I wasn't sure if I could handle it.