Unravelling

I found myself standing in the back of a crowded room, pressed against the back wall as my head was swimming in the incessant chatter all around me. I wanted so desperately to escape from this place and just hide out in my room like I've been doing for the majority of my time here, but Dalia wouldn't allow me the luxury of doing so - all because stupid Riker ordered her to bring me here.

"Come on, Eden, it'll be over before you know it; Just try and cheer up - for Max." Dalia held the little boy by his shoulders tightly to her body, her hands gripping the fabric of his shirt, not letting up in the slightest. Max simply continued to stare at the people before him, his wide, innocent eyes examining every inch of the room, not paying any mind to the seemingly anxious girl behind him.

I couldn't help but sigh in response, pressing my fingers to my temples as I massaged the side of my head, hoping to divert some of the pain to the pressure I was creating in an attempt at controlling this headache.

"Dalia, I'm just not feeling good; can't I just go back to my room and you fill me in on this meeting later?" I asked her, squeezing my eyes shut as tightly as I possibly could.

"I'm really sorry, but I can't do that." I could hear the slight change in tone of her voice, the softness to it an indication that she must have felt some form of sympathy for me. I believe Dalia to be a good person, and surely if it were up to her she would have let me go - I just know it - but her wolf won't allow her to disobey her alpha's orders.

But I just had to try anyway.

"I don't do well in crowds," I admitted finally, removing my hands from my head as I leaned against the wall. I opened my eyes slowly, meeting her bright blue ones as she sighed.

"Alright, I'll try and get the alpha to -"

"Try and get the alpha to what?"

I saw Dalia's small frame tense up as she stared right behind me, her eyes widening at the owner of that all too familiar voice.

I sluggishly turned around, trying to mask my pained and annoyed attitude with a smile on my lips.

"Hello, Asher," I greeted him, my eyes soon meeting his. His tall frame towered over the two of us, his body so close to mine I was forced to crane my neck back in order to look him in the eyes.

He's too close, Eden.

Ignoring the protests of my other half, I focused on keeping this smile on my face so I may hopefully get out of here with my sanity. Asher, however, wasn't too keen of my smile, his eyes narrowing slightly as he clenched his jaw.

"Try and get the alpha to what?" Asher asked, once again, most likely not allowing himself to be distracted by my small talk. His eyes soon diverted from mine to somewhere behind me, his eyes narrowing even more. "Care to explain, Dalia?"

"I-I was just trying to make the luna feel more comfortable..."