This is crazy.

How did I not notice before?

My eyes never once left the wall in front of me as I let my thoughts run wild in my head. I kept replaying these past few days over and over in my mind, just looking for the signs that I might have missed.

Looking back, it seemed to be that my wolf knew of my mate before I did. His scent was locked in her memory ever since the first time she got a whiff of it. She knew he was around and she always seemed to point me in his direction, all to try and be with him. But, most importantly, she recognized his voice and reacted to it, all the while I was trying to pass off this reaction as something totally different than what it actually was.

She felt the mate bond and she acted on it, completely leaving me in the dark.

Of course, neither one of us actually knew it was him until we actually met him, but she picked up on the signs; and I just didn't know how I felt about that.

I wanted to be mad at her for what's happening, but I just couldn't; besides, deep down I know it's not her fault. Sure, she may have been drawn to him - after all, he is her mate - but when given the chance to run, she took it as much as I did. It was only a matter of time before I came out of my happy state of mind and fell back down to earth.

The truth is, I may love Hunter, but I'm not in love with him.

I brought my thumb up to my mouth, chewing lightly on the raw flesh, trying to ignore his eyes on me. Ever since we arrived, Asher's been watching me like a hawk. He set me down on the bed, then proceeded to drop himself in to the chair in the room, and began his surveillance. Not once did I not feel the heat of his intense stare on the side of my face, and, to be quite frank, it was beginning to drive my wolf insane.

It's already bad enough that I found my mate but now, on top of that, I have a babysitter to watch my every move. But that's not the worst part: the mate bond was already beginning to affect me, my wolf feeling anxious just at the thought of being left alone in the same room with a male wolf.

I tried to ignore it as best as I could, not wanting Asher to know what I was feeling, but it was extremely uncomfortable.

"Could you stop that?" I snapped at him. I still didn't look at him, but I could practically see the smirk on his face as I heard him let out a deep chuckle.

"Stop what?"

He was trying to be smart with me.

"The staring! Jeez, do you have to do that?"

"Why? Am I making you uncomfortable?"

At his words I felt my face flush, no doubt in my mind that my face was its infamous cherry red. I could feel my body radiating heat as I began to play with the hem of the shirt Hunter gave me.

"No," I mumbled, allowing my hair to fall in my face. I could try to deny it, but it was rather pointless considering we both knew it was a lie.