Chapter 2

Over the next ten years, I grew very close to Will. I trusted him more than anyone else. He always made me laugh and he never questioned my role as a woman or down graded me.

He even taught me how to sword fight. I saw him practicing one day and was fascinated with it, so I asked. Thankfully he didn't question me, but showed me what to do. We've been doing that since I was fifteen years old.

I just barely turned seventeen and Elizabeth has nagged me more than ever about a husband and becoming a lady.

I wanted to tell her there was only one man I wished to marry, but she would kill me. She's engaged to some captain. He is older than her by a decade or maybe even more. I could never be with someone like the man she has chosen.

But apparently I don't have a say in that.

---

I woke up the next morning, bright and early. I remembered the day I met Will and quickly got out of bed and began to move things around. It took me a few minutes to pop up the floorboard, but I managed to do it.

I opened the small box and lifted the necklace out of it. It was covered in dust. I wiped it off, before putting it on.

I smiled. 

"A pirate brand." I whispered to myself.

James Norrington's words echoed in my head.

I tucked the necklace into my nightgown and then someone knocked on the door.

"Madelyn?" My father asked.

"She better not still be asleep." I heard Elizabeth's voice.

I walked to the door and opened it.

"I'm not." I said.

"It's a very beautiful day." My father said.

The maidens began to open the windows and curtains, shining light into my dark room.

"I have a gift for you." My father said.

My father opened a box and inside was a very beautiful dress. It was beautiful. (Her outfit is on the side).

"It's lovely." I whispered and pulled it out. The dream was a white cream colored and sparkled.

"Father wanted something that would go nicely with you. I suggested it." Elizabeth said.

"Thank you." I said, to both of them.

I looked at the dress and the maidens helped me hold it up.

"James is going to think you a woman now. He's going to be struck to the bone when he sees you in this." Elizabeth whispered.

"What?" I asked.

Then I realized what they were doing.

"What is the occasion, father?" I asked.

"Does a father need an occasion to dote upon his daughter?" He asked.

"No, but the last time you brought in a beautiful dress, Elizabeth got engaged. And now she is getting married in just a few short weeks." I said.

I turned around and the maidens began to help me get into the dress.

"I was hoping you would wear it for the ceremony today." My father said.

"What ceremony?" I asked.

"Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony." Elizabeth said.

I glared at her.