Chapter 3

(A picture of Madelyn on the side)

---

The marches began and the men lined up. The air was warm, but a breeze was passing through. It felt good. I could hardly breathe in this dress and I wanted out of it. 

The men marched in. I waved my fan in my face, trying to let air hit me. Is this almost over?

"Right about. Face!" I heard a man yell and James Norrington walked in. 

"Present arms!" 

The men lowered their guns, like a triangle and Norrington walked through them. I began to fidget with my dress. Come on, Norrington. Can you please finish this? Everyone watched him do these little tosses with his sword and swing it around and whatnot. 

Towards the end, Elizabeth's fiance joined us. I could see she is truly happy with him. I wanted that, but not with James. When it ended we walked out towards where the band was playing music. Women were chatting among themselves. 

A couple of Elizabeth's older friends came over to us. We all chatted for a moment, until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Pardon me ladies, I don't mean to interrupt." I heard Norrington say. I quickly froze and looked at Elizabeth.

"Oh, James, you aren't intruding at all. Please join us." One of the woman said, batting her eyelashes at him.

"I'm terribly sorry, but I've only come to collect Madelyn. If you please." He said.

I felt my heart stop and I turned to look at him. I think Elizabeth could tell I didn't want to go alone. 

"May I have a moment?" Norrington asked.

I nodded and he grabbed my hand and led me away from the party. When I turned around to look at the other girls I could hear them whispering. Elizabeth and her fiance walked behind us, but they were only a few feet away. They walked over to the edge of the fort on the other side of the small wall that divided us. I know that whatever Norrington was about to say, they were going to hear it.

"You look lovely, Madelyn." Norrington said.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"I apologize if I seem forward, but I must speak my mind." He began to say.

My blue eyes quickly looked up at him.

"This promotion throws into sharp relief that which I have not yet achieved. A marriage to a fine woman." He said.

I quickly froze yet again.

"You have become a fine woman, Madelyn." He said.

"Norrington, I don't know what to say." I whispered, fanning myself. I am lacking air at this moment.

"Yes. I'm a bit nervous myself." He said.

Before I could say anything, I saw my sister's body fall from the balcony and down into the water out of the corner of my eye.

"Elizabeth!" I and her fiance both yelled.

Norrington quickly turned around.

"Elizabeth fell!" I yelled.

We quickly looked down at the water and her fiance, Peter, was about to jump in. I quickly grabbed his shoulders.

"No, it's a miracle she missed them. We have to get to her another way." I yelled and quickly hiked up my skirts and began to run like a mad woman towards the docks.